Risk assessments

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

I've been hating writing these things as half of me thinks it's common sense and unnecessary bureaucracy. Commercial clients have demanded them so... it is what it is.

Anyway, after today I'm training and risk assessing absolutely bloody everything.

I had one guy lowering a 16 ft tripod ladder onto a main road and had to grab him and it and swing it round perpendicular. Only for him then to try lowering it down from its base until I stood on the base and grabbed it and had to show him what I thought must be bloody obvious.

Then I had another walking around with chainsaw and a fag. I said no smoking using petrol tools thinking FFS. For him to reply and try arguing with me that it's safe cos it's 2 stroke. I kept relatively calm and said I don't care what justification you have you're not having fire in one hand and petrol in the other its just not happening....

Sooo..

Rules, risk assessments, training. I don't get paid for any of it of course and I've been reckless myself in life but perhaps I'm getting old or whatever but things are just getting too much.

seanandruby
Site Admin

You need to show them your the boss and what you say goes. Have a morning briefing ( dabs )
So they know what is expected of them. Make them sign risk assesments/ method statements etc: introduce the green, yellow and red card system. Your the boss, the one who goes to prison if they flip up and blow themselves up. Regardless if it's pertrol, or just smoking at work it is o o o these days. Take control and gain their respect.
sean

Forestboy1978

seanandruby wrote:You need to show them your the boss and what you say goes. Have a morning briefing ( dabs )
So they know what is expected of them. Make them sign risk assesments/ method statements etc: introduce the green, yellow and red card system. Your the boss, the one who goes to prison if they flip up and blow themselves up. Regardless if it's pertrol, or just smoking at work it is o o o these days. Take control and gain their respect.
Never been a fan of bureaucracy thought.

I do have a formal warning protocol though and have used it.

They do respect me. I fool about a bit but I take no shit.

Risk assessments are in progress. I'm actually glad to be doing them as I'm noticing areas everywhere where risks can be enormous but they can be reduced.

rxbren

try the free citb wdm wizard app it sorts all your risk assessments out per job, just put in the jobs location select all the bits that apply to that project and job done it will email you risk assessments for it

Forestboy1978

Cheers will look into it :-)