Post hole borer

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

Basically I got arthritis in both shoulder now and recently my left knee has started to hurt in a similar way to my shoulders and I'm not even going to get it checked cos I just don't want to know...

But

I am going to spend money on equipment that makes my life easier.

Post hole borer... any recommendations? I'm buying one imminently. Don't feel I need to drink the cool aid and buy Stihl. I own a lot of Stihl stuff and I'm not massively impressed. Considering Makita or even perhaps Hyundai as my 4000psi hyundai jet washer has served me well if you discount dislocating fingers on the pull start.

Any suggestions?

I'm all ears for any possible ways of making life easier with machinery. I don't mind heavy lifting etcetera but I think it's the sharp banging of things that is doing me in. Like smashing bars into the ground etcetera. Lifting heavy objects correctly is a good thing. Jarring and jabbing is not.

Ta

dig dug dan

Unless you have nothing but loam, the one man hand held ones are a waste of time.
best one is digga, its a one man auger on a wheeled trolley that uses hydraulics to power it, but it has a reverse lever in case it jams. It comes apart and fits in the boot of a car.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

seanandruby
Site Admin

I have arfur ritus almost everywhere
I find that it's not just vibrating tools that make it hurt more, it is also having to grip tools. I try avoidance now, such as kerb laying and heavy stuff, i try do less by taking a step back rather than forward. I suggest you take someone on to do the heavy work, best spend now than lose later when you can't do it.
sean

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I had a stihl butterfly type one, (not for long) crikey it threw 2 16 stone men about 6 foot when we hit a flint
as said the idea as you get less younger is to get the young fellas trained up for this
I am knocking 50 now and as Sean said I try to pace myself like the veteran footballers do
nearly every fencer I know ends up with shoulder and or Back problems,its a young man's game
good luck Andres
LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Forestboy1978

Cheers guys all points taken.

Trouble with training is it takes so damn long. Have a young bloke working for me and another as and when but it's been a year and although he's on the ball he's no way near being able to be left alone to do the jobs to my standard and on time. 2 years or more I would think, if ever. You can't really tell if someone's ever going to get there. Fencing is much more complicated that people think IMO. I find it one of the more problematic areas of landscaping, certainly to do it spot on in all circumstances anyway.

I'm going to try and find time to hit the gym again. I'm getting hunched over and it's drawing my shoulders forward. I need to develop my upper back muscles to pull pressure off the joints. Just gonna have to find the time. Lost a lot of muscle mass since I stopped training a year ago.

seanandruby
Site Admin

Maybe next time you get a job that is "hidden" you could trust the lad. Sometimes when given responsibility and left alone people shine :;):
sean

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

get on the Ergo Andres,impact free my RHR has gone from 78BPM 2 years ago to 47BPM as of last week
I am off to france friday to take part in a world record attempt at 100,000 m :)

weights have ruined a lot of my pals,we do enough lifting at work

the best 2 blokes that ever worked for me I knew within 2-3 days that they were going to make it,just a can do attitude,both running their own thing now but got 10 years out of one and 6 out of the other
good luck to them
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Forestboy1978

Those ergo machines might be just what I need to pull my shoulders back but I find them sooo boring. Would rather do circuit training or calisthenics or anything really. Resting heart rate is 58-62 so I'm not concerned about fitness although I know they are a damn good cardio blast.

World record attempt hey wow :) Good for you. That must be a great feeling of pride.

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

my training has gone pretty well,the only thing that can ruin it for me and my french team is heat
we need to do 100km at an average pace of 1:36/500m
there are multiple different workouts you can do on the ergo,my favourite is an hour at 22SPM 1000 calories burnt lots of sweat :-)
cheers LLL :)

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Forestboy1978

3 bloody hours of gruelling activity... No bloody way I'm not a masochist. My Mrs would be hard pressed to get 3 hours out of me and I enjoy that shit.. a lot.

22SPM is that on the hardest resistance?

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

there is no resistance on a concept2 ergo,the lever on the side just changes the drag factor,I row on around 4 1/2 on the side which equates to 115DF on the monitor, you create your own speed by pushing harder,I get people in the gym all the time asking how come I am so fast on a low resistance,when they are huffing and puffing on *level* 10 and I am on 4 and a bit
FTR most of team GB row on around 3-4 on the lever ==> same as the water
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE