Been asked to tender for large contract

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

I've basically become the go to company for fencing repairs and sundry landscaping and maintenance tasks for a large housing and architectural company.

They've asked me if I'd like to tender for the maintenance of 2 of their developments. Basically forestry and open areas. I have some tree qualifications but not all but I do sub to a mate who's a fully qualified surgeon and works most weeks for me in one way or another.

Trouble is I usually quote for jobs that are small to medium sized. I'm a bit out of my depth. I don't really know how to gauge this amount of work and I do have a tendency of being overly optimistic. Even when i factor in my "yeah this will be easy attitude" into the equation I still can go well under sometimes. Any tips would be hugely appreciated,,, as usual lol

Ta guys

jwill

Would a qs be a good idea in this instance. He can do you a set of rates for most work you're likely to come across with your margin built in. Unless they've given you a list of tasks or spec?

Forestboy1978

Not a bad idea. I dunno how much I'd trust them though. Get it wrong and I'm screwed.

jwill

They should give you a cost figure and you just make sure you can actually do the job for that figure. If it's reactive maintenance you could even just quote hourly rate? £25/hr per man