Sacked my first employee

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

OK so labourer got asked to move the van yesterday. Asked nicely mind you. Cos he was blocking some woman in her house. In a piss he grabs the keys and moves the van. I caught a look at her from over the fence and she was kind of embarassed/ sheepish as if she'd done something wrong. She damn well hadn't. She was doing us a favour. Obviously I had words with him along the lines of never again...

Now today, I left him at 2pm cos I had to make calls. He takes it upon himself to finish at 4pm. Hours are to 4.30pm. Could ****** believe it really. He's on a salary with all the trimmings of 20k with little to no experience mainly cos he is damn reliable and a quick learner and a decent chap but none the less, it's a commitment cos I HAVE to keep every single day filled. More often than not we finish a bit early with the rare job finishing late but it evens out in his favour.

On top of that he has this damn annoying habit of not responding when he's spoken to. It's discourteous, but damn unsafe mainly so it annoys the hell out of me. It's not that he doesn't do what you've asked but you just have no idea if you've been heard or what.

Gave him a formal warning today illustrating the above factors. Conform or p45 in essence.

God I'm p******d

jwill

Just shows how soft I was. My man wouldn't of had any hesitation finishing that time on a Friday. He was a right miserable twat too. Employing people is a nightmare especially with all the paperwork. Can only earn so much with your own two hands tho

Forestboy1978

jwill wrote:Just shows how soft I was. My man wouldn't of had any hesitation finishing that time on a Friday. He was a right miserable twat too. Employing people is a nightmare especially with all the paperwork. Can only earn so much with your own two hands tho
I am quite soft myself cos we often go home early, partly cos I'm knackered and have 3 more hours admin to do. Or if I don't fill a whole day I'll get him to do a few maintenance tasks and bugger off at 3pm etc.

If he had phoned and told me site was clear etc I would have said ok send me an image and bugger off home, but he didn't.