Totally ran out of work

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

And another thing.....

When you quote for a job and you say x amount for a, b, c and they come back to you and say yes we'd like for you to commence this work for us but can you confirm that you'll do a, b, c, AND d. So you go away and think and you know you have not added d cos d is that extra bit that makes a small awkward job that is kinda profitable not so profitable and potentially a lot more awkward but you say yes cos you know the job is gone if you don't.

Soo, then what happens is something else comes across that makes it more awkward anyway and you also have to add in D and your annoying little job that may have earn't you a bit is a massive pain in the ass and hasn't earn't you ****

dig dug dan

rxbren wrote:I get all the hard shit no one wants

Priced artifical turf last week local merchant wont supply it butgave me anumber for someone called them turf came to 1200 for 60m2 they offered if all the prepwork was done to fit it if all yhey had to do was lay it and do the joint, thought would ask what they would charge out of intereat and they gave a price of 600 just to fit
Bloody stuff is the new decking craze. Hate it cos of the environmental damage it does.
Easy to do though
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

rxbren

Yeah seems to be getting more popular i nearly chocked when they said the fitting price especially as it cant bemore than half a days work including travel. Good work if you can get it.
Its annoying people have no issues paying a plumber or sparkie 250 a day using cheap handtools yet expect someone to turn up with 20k worth of kit and do a day for 100

Forestboy1978

rxbren wrote:Yeah seems to be getting more popular i nearly chocked when they said the fitting price especially as it cant bemore than half a days work including travel. Good work if you can get it.
Its annoying people have no issues paying a plumber or sparkie 250 a day using cheap handtools yet expect someone to turn up with 20k worth of kit and do a day for 100
and they are indoors....

Artificial grass might be worth getting accredited for. It's definitely popular

dig dug dan

Forestboy1978 wrote:
rxbren wrote:Yeah seems to be getting more popular i nearly chocked when they said the fitting price especially as it cant bemore than half a days work including travel. Good work if you can get it.

and they are indoors....

Artificial grass might be worth getting accredited for. It's definitely popular
I started using igrass. They stock to us direct, so we avoid paying inflated builders merchants prices.
however, talking to a mate who does a lot, he reckons this fad will be short lived, as there is rumours that an environmental tax will be imposed on it to deter people.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

Andres over a longer time frame its the *snowball * effect
I try to treat all customers the same way ,with honesty and integrity
we wont do price lead work,and to this end ,hopefully we can always turn out quality stuff
this then leads to more FOAFs asking about their project
as soon as I hear "just" "cash" "little" or "3 hours work" on the phone I switch off
there are plenty of noddys round here do all that bottom feeding,not to say I wont do a small job,just it has to be as near perfect as I can make it
back from the USA today and 2 calls but booked till july
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

rxbren

Yeah get a lot of its half a day or couple of hours i always tell them we are 8hr minimum as lets face it how many of these jobs are ever that time scale and how many other jobs can you start half way through a day

Forestboy1978

Tony I'm a litle durnk but what hte hell. I agree with you. Honesty and inegrity are the only gifts you can give to yourself. the times I've been knowling ingenuine I've felt like such a chump so I always try to be me

This winter's beeen shit but I'm still in the game and got mon-wed next week booked for me an the labourer. I'm losing a lot atm cos I gave him salary. He's earn't it. He's hard working and I trust him. I've been cutting prices on jobs to get work out of nothing and today my new van sprung a feul leak on the way to getting glow plugs replaced. Followed by my beef chianti being open when I opened it and I'm not letting tescos poison me more than once in on3 year and then I found out a friend had sat alone in his flat lsat week and took his own life. Crap 21 month s if ever there was ...

BUT not really for me. just others. I gotta my health and a damn good woman who loves the shit out of me so I'm all good but god damn it aint an easy life sometimes :rock:

digerjones

Sounds like having a labourer causes you more grief than not having one. I'm lucky as all my stuff is paid for so it doesn't cost anything when not earning apart from a bit of insurance. I'm also lucky as all my work is in my village and most are regular customers. With me having afew bits of kit, means I hardly ever need a labourer, I've got a grab for the digger now aswell. What your paying a labourer and an extra van etc. You could have more kit.
Hope you have sobered up
dylan

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

Dylan has his village sewed up! all local work,people trust him and he has that great local rep, this is what to aim for
I dont want to work further than 15 miles from my front door,any more than that and logistics start weighing heavy
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Forestboy1978

Yeah went for run in the forest with the dog. Cleared me out a bit...

Got 4 days booked now for next week from old quotes that turned around but still not a call all weekend and 4 views of my checkatrade page.....

DempseyLiverpool

Like Tony says "just" "cash" "little" "only" "cheapest" "Iv'e dug it all out" "I've got all the materials" etc etc It's a no go !

I only do full written quote if they won't the job done or if they seem serious and have a realistic budget. Always try to get a budget as it saves wasting everyones time.

I've had a bad start just booked in 1st job of the year today !! Priced some nice ones in the last couple of weeks but no replies of yet.

Not all bad though this turned up on the 7th feb.

Dempsey Landscaping Liverpool

Natural stone paving & driveway professionals

http://www.landscapingbydempsey.co.uk

Tel: 0151 724 5245

Forestboy1978

DempseyLiverpool wrote:Like Tony says "just" "cash" "little" "only" "cheapest" "Iv'e dug it all out" "I've got all the materials" etc etc It's a no go !

I only do full written quote if they won't the job done or if they seem serious and have a realistic budget. Always try to get a budget as it saves wasting everyones time.

I've had a bad start just booked in 1st job of the year today !! Priced some nice ones in the last couple of weeks but no replies of yet.

Not all bad though this turned up on the 7th feb.

Well Dempsey. I'm one of those guys when handed a baby who thinks "erm, ah, er, nice, it's a baby... peculiar little entities...."

But that is CUTE I have got to say. Well done mate ;-)

DempseyLiverpool

Cheers mate hope work picks up for you soon I always seem to have bad winters !!
Dempsey Landscaping Liverpool

Natural stone paving & driveway professionals

http://www.landscapingbydempsey.co.uk

Tel: 0151 724 5245

Forestboy1978

DempseyLiverpool wrote:Cheers mate hope work picks up for you soon I always seem to have bad winters !!
Thanks mate it has. No sooner did I run out of work that the phone went mental.