Spreadsheet

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Tony McC
Site Admin

I know I'm not calculating prices or tenders any longer, but when I did, I used a series of linked spreadsheets which relied on a 'master' spredsheet in which all the latest prices were held and kept up-to-date. The pricing spreadsheets were pretty similar to those I make available on the main website, except they gave a lot more detail about labour requirements (tradesman/labourer/driver/etc).

However, the basic concept was that, f'rinstance, for a block paved driveway I'd only need to input type of block, total area, total perimeter and the pattern, and it would churn out a detailed cost plus a 'quotation' which could be printed off for the client.

For day-to-day accounting, then, as now, I relied on Quickbooks. I know my accountant isn't a big fan but I understand it, I'm familiar with it, I find it almost impossible to balls-up, and it gives me the feedback I deperately need on where I'm making and losing money. I let it do all the brane-ake about profits, losses, margins, VAT and everything else so that I can focus on what I do best - gawping at paving!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

i agree 100% with Dan on this, as soon as punters want to avoid VAT you know they will want to cut other corners,including maybe the price
best tip I ever heard was from Steve from London Stone,and that was never be worried to talk numbers to people
I.E. to most of us on here 100k +VAT may seem a lot of money,but to our target audience its kinda what they are expecting
interested in the quick books that Tony MC mentioned,I use a spreadsheet for general stuff but find with Building stuff there are so many factors that it is hard to just use a spreadsheet,so always end up checking prices manually :-)

LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

jwill

I would also avoid bringing the vat calculation into your profit. You should of be working on a net basis with regards to your profits and losses

I include gross figures in my spreadsheet but also a column with the seperate vat amount to make sums easier.

Gave up trying to analyse profit on each individual job long time ago. Although contracting not my main bread and butter. Too many combined overheads

rxbren

just use quickfile

no need for spreadsheets or possible equation errors at the end of the day this will cost you if you make a mistake

just put in your purchases and your sales it will work the rest out

Forestboy1978

I have taken in everything you have all said. It his being processed, along with an infinity of other stuff, by the finely tuned instrument that is my brain.......

Thanks