Spreadsheet

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

Hi guys,

I want to pay someone to compile a spreadsheet format for me.

Basically it's quite simple. I just x2 spreadsheets on the same page that are interlinked

One for expenses with and without VAT
And another that I input price charged and calculates cost minus vat and then deducts expenses minus VAT to give me gross profit after VAT paid out and reimbursed on materials

Then I'd like another aspect of the spreadsheet where I can amend duration of the project so it gives me net profit after wages dependent on duration.

Ta

jwill

To be honest you'd be better off familiarising yourself with how to make one. This is because sometimes they need tweaking. Ie vat is different rates. If you know someone who can give u a little tutorial it is good time spent.

Forestboy1978

Time is a commodity I just don't have. I do know how to do basic spreadsheets and input formula but this is out of my knowledge area.

rxbren

Sounds like more hassle than its worth
For the second spreadsheet are you going to have to input prices into a database so it can work out what you need it to with regards to deducting costs and expenses?
As for the last one can't you simply work out what you originally priced the job at labour and profit wise then divide by the actual time worked
The database idea just seem a way to really complicate things

Forestboy1978

it's easy once it's set up. I have main expenses worked out and just add the odd sundry to it if need be.

I could just work this shit out each time but I figured if I had the template then I can just whack the figures straight into it rather than using the calculator and then it's there to be printed or whatever. Or amended etc

jwill

Mine is dead basic but your better off working the labour out manually. I.e. Knowing what you and blokes cost per day. Easier with subbies. Every thing is ex vat but With a vat column to help with returns. I could send you a copy of mine but it would definitely need altering as its not what u need. If u can do the basics you could prob make your own. I just link sums to cells in different pages. But all in one file.

Forestboy1978

jwill wrote:Mine is dead basic but your better off working the labour out manually. I.e. Knowing what you and blokes cost per day. Easier with subbies. Every thing is ex vat but With a vat column to help with returns. I could send you a copy of mine but it would definitely need altering as its not what u need. If u can do the basics you could prob make your own. I just link sums to cells in different pages. But all in one file.
That would be most appreciated. I think I just about know enough to adjust the equations if I need to. I'll probably learn what I need from your spreadsheet too to enable me to adapt it to mine.

Thanks very much mate :-)

jwill

Pm your email to me

Forestboy1978

Hi Jwill. I've done it myself mate but thanks a lot

Forestboy1978

OK so I thought I'd got this right but in checking it today I definitely haven't

I've got the equations right but the calculations wrong.

Basically it's late or I'm just thick as ***t but correct me if I'm wrong but

If you have a 10,000 job and it's 5000 expenses and 5000 labour and all your expenses included VAT and you billed 10,000 then what you'd lose in vat on your labour you'd gain back in VAT on your expenses. Input and output vat. Expenses are the input and labour being the output.

So, the more materials/ expenses go above 50% of the total cost charged of the job the more you'll benefit as you'll have more input VAT than output VAT right?

I think I'm right this far but it's at this point where my brain goes £$%^£^%$£...

To calculate positive or negative VAT you need to do what???

VAT paid on labour OUTPUT + VAT INPUT on expenses - all expenses before VAT = total profit after VAT is balanced??

Forestboy1978

OK I think I have it...

Gross profit =

Total charged inc VAT - Expenses inc VAT + (input VAT - output VAT)

that look right to you?

rxbren

Why don't you just start a quickfile account its free for under 1000 inputs or about £50 (cant remember how much i paid but sounds right) if your over that for the year.

You just enter your receipts with totals paid (net and vat) enter your sales (total job prices) you can email your invoices direct from quickfile and even setup online payments/card payments and it will work everything out for you even do your end of year and vat returns

You can even photo receipts and upload them to your account not tried it but will do when change phone as camera bit shit on this one

Stop making things complicated for yourself when there are free/cheap accounting software to do the job for you

lemoncurd1702

Vat has nothing to do with your profit. Just add everything up excluding the Vat you pay which you get back anyway and the Vat charged which isn't yours.
Don't pass on the Vat that you retrieve on materials to customers, it doesn't work.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

correct! the VAT you lose on labour plus the costs associated with VAT mean that the VAT that is returned just about covers these incidentals
I had a tree surgeon ring up the other day asking would I buy him a stump grinder and he would give me the money

I thought it was a bit odd till he suggested he would not be giving me the VAT portion

doh!

good bye and good luck to him :-)

LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

dig dug dan

People are always trying to avoid vat. Its one area not worth fiddling under any circumstances.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"