Racked my van

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

Well I finally racked my van. It was driving me nuts finding stuff and clambering around so I decided enough was enough. Researched for a few weeks and spent 3 days this week sorting it.

I am well chuffed. Of course I'm going to be tweaking it from here to kingdom come but it's 95% what I want. I'm actually astonished to have so quickly achieved satisfaction with it. I thought I'd be pulling it apart and redoing it forever but aside from some additions and minor adjustments I've achieved a little more than what I set out to achieve. Damn rare as I'm sure you'll all appreciate.

Anyhow.... let's see if I can do this photobucket thing

http://imgur.com/a/kwA1H

Forestboy1978

Man how hard is it to post the actual image on this forum. I've never known it to be such a hardship lol

sy76uk

Use imgur forest.

Forestboy1978

OK will try and edit now. Ta

Still wont let me do it. Says you are not allowed to use that whatever in this forum use http blah blah which is exactly what I'm doing.

"You are not allowed to use that image extension on this board. A valid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.gif, an invalid format is: http://www.domain.com/picture.one.gif"

^^that's exactly what I tried doing but it wasn't having any of it

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

nice racking mate looks tidy
LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

sy76uk

Google imgur forest. It's like photobuc kettle but this site prefers it.
Took me over a year to post pics on this forum lol.
Van looks well. I need to sort mine out.

Forestboy1978

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm so chuffed with it.

Took the van out yesterday and drove at speed, taking corners aggressively to see what happened. Aside from the odd subtle click or clank here and there and a can of WD40 tipping over on a shelf, all was well.

Obv it makes access to stuff sooo much easier but I think the real advantage will be not losing stuff and also being able to do maintenance of tools a lot easier.

Sy - I used Imgur, still wasn't having it. I've put pics on before a few years ago but for the life of me I canny do it now lol

sy76uk

On imgur you just copy and paste the bbcode forest.

michaelthegardener

looks good :) is that a push mower though ? also you might find the strimmer hard to start if you store it upside down like that mines allways a bugger to start if it rools over in the van

Forestboy1978

Yeah I know Michael. Still got a lot of tweaks for tools storage. Just the basic shell is in at the moment. Might do some more work on it next weekend. And yeah it can be a bugger to start at the best of times.

Yes it's a push mower. 16" Hayter. Cuts lovely though but hard work.

If I get some more maintenance work (we don't do a huge amount of maintenance) I will buy a 30" Toro Turfmaster I think.

michaelthegardener

id get an etesia pro 46 18" if I was you great mower :) ive got 2 cos I like to have a spare :p but it wont do stripes so I got myself a 18" hayter cheap in the winter for that :) id love a turfmaster but to be honest id need so many much bigger jobs to use it on 18" for me is just the right size

Forestboy1978

michaelthegardener wrote:id get an etesia pro 46 18" if I was you great mower :) ive got 2 cos I like to have a spare :p but it wont do stripes so I got myself a 18" hayter cheap in the winter for that :) id love a turfmaster but to be honest id need so many much bigger jobs to use it on 18" for me is just the right size
I dunno I'm still tempted just for the few lawns we do maintain. It'll double my speed and half my calorie output in the summer. Possibly triple my speed with that push mower when I'm not feeling frisky. I'd be more inclined to drum up more lawns too if it wasn't such a slog to do them.

Can't afford it though at the moment. Want to properly sign write the van next and put a tow bar on. Just bought a stump grinder so it'll have to wait unless I whack it on the plastic hmmm

Forestboy1978

Michael,, couple of questions..

Why go Estesia when it's almost as expensive but less cutting width? I mean the turfmaster is a good mower. I looked at one just today as I had to take mine in for a repair. Looks very durable. I see no advantage to getting a smaller mower (especially for similar price range) when I already have a small mower, even if it is just a push mower.

Why didn't you just buy a striping kit for your estesia?

michaelthegardener

ok well how many people have a 30" wide garden gate ? not many round these parts my etesia only just gets in to some of my gardens :p for me 18" is just right I do a lot of gardens big and small and its a good fast mower gets an average size lawn done in 30mins or so :) if I could get more commercial work id love a bigger mower but that still would only be if I could make the outlay back pretty dam quick :rock:
do you mean the new roller they do or the rubber drag strip ? the roller I couldn't find any reviews on and if it was a pain to fit may have been a problem and the rubber strips just don't do the job right and wear away quickly cant beat a good cast iron roller cylinder mower would be even better but that's just a whole more list of problems :D

michaelthegardener

oh and also I can pick the etesia up and lob it in the van no need to mess about with ramps and I didn't get either of mine new boath from the same dealer used one was 5 years old the other just a year boath work just as good :)