Whats electrical work cost these days ?

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
michaelthegardener

ok so I want my workshop wired up ive got the sockets switches rcd and lights all I need is the cable supplied and it all fitting approx. 14m of armoured cable and ive dug the trench been quoted 400 quid and on the face of it it seams a tad steep but I dunno so anyone got any idears ?

seanandruby
Site Admin

You don't say how much armoured cable, ducting, flex, how many sockets, lights, consumer box, light fittings, glands etc: need fixing and connecting. I would say to get it done and all pat tested, all safe then it is worth every penny.
sean

dig dug dan

The armoured cable needs to be the correct thickness according to the load its going to take.
If you know an electrician, ask, buy the cable, and put it in, leaving enough of a loop either end for connection. Are you tapping into the fuse box in the house, or the ring main?
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

michaelthegardener

well I do know him but don't think he wants the job to be honest took him over a week to get back to me with a price even though he said he would ring me that evening anyway is going to be in the fuse box there is a spare rcd/fuse or whatever you call it :p

its 6double sockets and 2 florescent lights

seanandruby
Site Admin

some idea might give you some idea. Maybe be best to fix all your sockets, pull your cables through etc and just get sparking do connections and compliance test and certificate.
sean

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

our sparkys would rather supply and fix,because most people (not all) go for the cheapest fittings they can find and the sparks dont want to fit rubbish that will mean lots of service calls

general rule of thumb MK is where its at for most people ,quality fittings, reasonable prices. good quality

we see lots of stuff where people have wired stuff with 1mm cable and 2nd hand sockets
it needs signing off so needs to be right

sparkys ~£200 per day

LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

michaelthegardener

that's why I want it all put in but ive got the sockets and lights because I can get them the same place he will without the mark up :p ill get someone else round for a look I think don't mind paying for the job to be done right mind cant cut corners with electric :)

michaelthegardener

well its being done Tuesday bit more money but I think this bloke is going to do a better job :)
bought a lathe yesterday think I might get him to check over the motor while hes here looking at the wiring
had a look at the motor for the lathe im guessing it needs new cable :P

michaelthegardener

all done now :) well pleased with it and he re wired the motor for free :p :D