Having a conscience...

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

Well basically I've got a quote to do for regular customer. Sweet elderly couple. They will accept my quote. They wont be getting another.

I'm not going to quote more than normal BUT this fence and hedge removal we can do in a matter of hours. Probably less than half days work. I'm making money on the stump grinder. I'd be making money on the materials. It might take a little longer than half day but it probably wont.

Am I too soft for this ***t?

Forestboy1978

I've decided to draw a line half way between being soft as shit and charging them to the minute and billing it as full day when it wont be.

That's my compromise with my inner self lol

digerjones

You answered your own question. Don't feel guilty, they trust you they don't have to worry and that's worth alot.
dylan

lemoncurd1702

If it takes till 2-3 in the afternoon you have to charge for a full day, you ain't going to move on to something else after it. If you hit some problems and it takes you longer than expected will you go ask them for more without feeling like a conman, prob not.

I do know how you feel though and it's the reason why we'll never be rich.
That's the trouble with having a conscience! :p
Cheers
Lemoncurd

Forestboy1978

Yeah just been chatting the Mrs about it and as she says, what's the point in having loads of money if you can't respect who you are. **** the money.

rxbren

Quote a full day if you get it done as quick as you think knock money off the job
The amount if times I fine to do a job and the smallest of little hiccups leaves you there for hours more than you quoted

seanandruby
Site Admin

I thought being in business was about making money. They are paying for your workmanship, expettisevetc: and are confident you will do a good job regardless of how long it takes. giving them peace of mind is of value. I'm not a con man when it comes to charging but it's a jam job :;):
sean

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

a day is always a day be it an hour or 9 for me
the fact they trust you speaks volumes
if We have a really nice touch I will knock 5-10% off and say I am happy with that
nothing worse than underpricing and the job goes wonky
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE