Looking to pass on my skills in natural stone pavi - Teaching and supervision

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
rxbren

The problem with young lads is they think they deserve the same money as an experienced worker. I have tried a couple over the last 6 weeks one was ok but slow and the other "was wanting to learn" although in reality meant had to constantly babysit him, keep getting off the digger to cut edgings as he couldn't manage it, had to redo some of the work . The worst thing about both of them was they would only just do what you ask and either do it slowly or when they finished just stand there instead of finding something else that needs doing or ask what they can do next

cookiewales

i get all the points thats why am offering hands on training would pay my wages in less than 4 hours or less on natural stone paving had a local offer to lay bricks local builder £150 day and no pressure may use this as fill in its home every night ps come on wales this afternoon :p not just setts all paving including step building could even do month at a time and as you say giles work ethic is top of my list have you any thoughts tony mc

Edited By cookiewales on 1443689705
Originalstonepaving.com

The very best in natural stone paving in new and reclaimed materials
M: 07968 582231

cookiewales

lutonlagerlout wrote:this is the dilemma we all face at one point

I have trained up 2 bricklayers from 16/ scratch

they both got to their mid twenties and both are now doing their own thing

so if you pass on everything you can , and they are clued up ,they go off to do it themselves

the ones that stay need permanent supervision

the phone will probably ring tomorrow cookie and you will be knee deep in setts within days

LLL :)
have enquiries for sett work all away and large but feel its time to calm down and enjoy my time with carys and ieuan plus there is not many uk based sett layers out there :)
Originalstonepaving.com

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I see blokes doing civic work in luton and they are all romanian or bulgarians working for peanuts,laying chinese granite

the work ethic in the younger generation is a difficult one

I really dont think they can be taught it,its either in you or not

my idea of work is to go and work all day ,not to babysit others or listen to sob stories

the 2 lads got in the pick up today and both asked me to stop at a shop for rizla papers?

so what exactly where you doing between 5.30 last night and 7 this morning fellas?
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

RAPressureWashing

Cookie
Have you thought about writing a book or an ebook?
With your experience mate don't let it go to waste.
Roger Oakley BDA(Europe)Member 2006
R&A Pressure Washing Services Ltd
info@rapressurewashing.co.uk
www.rapressurewashing.co.uk

cookiewales

lutonlagerlout wrote:I see blokes doing civic work in luton and they are all romanian or bulgarians working for peanuts,laying chinese granite

my idea of work is to go and work all day ,not to babysit others or listen to sob stories

the 2 lads got in the pick up today and both asked me to stop at a shop for rizla papers?

so what exactly where you doing between 5.30 last night and 7 this morning fellas?
LLL
Yes get you on that one but have one on ya don't let smokers in my cab or team anytime even made The Hagi man smoke outside of site boundry 😂
Originalstonepaving.com

cookiewales

R&A Pressure Washing wrote:Cookie
Have you thought about writing a book or an ebook?
With your experience mate don't let it go to waste.
The gaffer had beat me to it by light years my skills are able to teach practice in paving the dark arts 😂
Originalstonepaving.com

sy76uk

Cookie, do you need some work or are you just looking to pass on your skills?
The firm I used to work for are flat out at the minute but they mostly do block paving, it's national work so they might have something close to you and it's all price work.
I'll pass on there number if your interested mate.

DNgroundworks

I hope I'm not still in this game when I'm 58! I'm looking for a way out now, funny really as its just getting busier and busier! Keep us posted on what you get up to Cookie id like to know.

Anyone heard from carberry? i tried emailing him but it bounced?

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

cookiewales wrote:
lutonlagerlout wrote:I see blokes doing civic work in luton and they are all romanian or bulgarians working for peanuts,laying chinese granite

LLL

Yes get you on that one but have one on ya don't let smokers in my cab or team anytime even made The Hagi man smoke outside of site boundry 😂
since 2013 we have a nominated area for smokers at work i.e. the skip
there is no smoking in the pick up , but what I am getting at is that people have been dropped off at 5.30pm and between then and getting picked up at 7 have not thought to go to the shop on their own time :)
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

seanandruby
Site Admin

...It's because they have used the tailor made and fag pepers on their spliffs so they need to re-stock :;):
I bet they get the choccy bars and energy drinks to, by lunch they on a come down and good for feck all :laugh:
sean

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

sean the all seeing eye :laugh: :laugh:
you are not too far wrong mate

LLL :)

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

lemoncurd1702

lutonlagerlout wrote:there is no smoking in the pick up , but what I am getting at is that people have been dropped off at 5.30pm and between then and getting picked up at 7 have not thought to go to the shop on their own time :)
LLL

Stuff picking up and dropping off at all. Gave that one up a few years back.

Unless they're very local i.e. around the corner or they make their way to my house, they can find their own way in. Fair enough if the job aint local but other than that!

I found myself losing 40 minutes a day with one lad picking up and dropping off and occasionally needing to bang on the feckers door to wake him up :angry:

If you need to give a subtle hint start seeing prospects on the way home or popping into Tescos for 30 minutes.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

cookiewales

sy76uk wrote:Cookie, do you need some work or are you just looking to pass on your skills?
The firm I used to work for are flat out at the minute but they mostly do block paving, it's national work so they might have something close to you and it's all price work.
I'll pass on there number if your interested mate.
cheers sam don't do block paving am just changing my career path out on the trowel next week double garage to build :)
Originalstonepaving.com

seanandruby
Site Admin

When i was picking up i made a sign and put it in my van window...."man waits for van, van waits for no man". :)
My nephew and his mate where always late at pick up point, or leaving it till last minute to say not coming. one morning they both there and i just drove past and waved. they managed to get to work for break time, big rare up but they never took the piss again :;): :)
sean