Customers who don't pay immediately

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Forestboy1978

Nothing pisses me off more. How do people justify it to themselves?

You work hard, sweat and on occassion bleed as well as spend x amount of money on materials so f******g pay up.

It's not just the fact that you've earnt no money until the payment comes through, it's that you are in defecit for materials. Why should they be earning interest on your money?

3 times I went out to quote for the same fence also as they got back to us a year later after their ext was built and then changed their mind twice so all in all half a day of pissing aournd before the job was even started and the guy and his wife said they were absolutely satisfied with the job but surprised we got it done so quickly. Would pay in the next few days. I don't have a recourse without losing my temper. I have to say OK and hold my breath as if I try to explain or question their thinking I just know I wont be able to hide my contempt. I have no doubt they will pay but WTF gives with these people.

I just would NEVER dream of delaying payement for a contract by a minute out of concern that I'd look like I may be shirking. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

FB did you not set out payment terms in your tender?

I always use 20-25% stage payments and/or final payment on completion of works

because we mainly get paid by BACS now theres no dramas with paying in checks etc

a lot of fencers ask for 50% when the materials get to site as once its up they are under no legal obligation to pay

LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Forestboy1978

I always put payment to be made on completion to your satisfaction. If it's a larger job I get payment in stages. It's there in writing, they are satisfied, very satisfied, so I can't understand how they are justifying taking 3 days to pay up. They are relatives of a customer I've worked for for 5 years now so I'm sure they'll pay but I don't want to create a situation about it,, at the moment.

Forestboy1978

what do you mean "once it's up they are under no legal obligation to pay"?

seanandruby
Site Admin

M8, can't see a problem with the client taking 3 days to pay up. They obviously thought you would take longer and hadn't arranged the funds. I would give them their 3 days to honour the agreement before screaming. Once the time is up then knock their door and ask. I don't kèep large amounts of cash and expect most people are the same.
sean

Forestboy1978

Yeah well tomorrow is the third day so I'm not phoneing or anything before then. We only completed it 1 day quicker than our estimate. They are gonna pay by BACS also. On top of that, I've done both his and her parents fences years ago and give a 5 year installation warranty that they know I will honour so that rules out them waiting to see if these strong winds move it or whatever cos they know I'll remedy any problems.

Anyhow, you're right, they may not have the money. I don't like taking money for materials when on site cos I don't think it's fair as they could pay for materials and then we make no good use of them and they are down the cost of materials even if they don't pay for the installation. I can understand it cos I've seen some terrible jobs done by well known contractors.

Here's the job BTW - pretty tidy if I do say so myself

https://www.dropbox.com/sh....oa?dl=0

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

its the law of terra firma
once you have built or erected something on someone elses land it doesn't belong to you any more
thats why I dont like working for strangers on the whole
has to be a FOAF or a friend's reccomendation
this works both ways of course
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

lemoncurd1702

Know how you feel Forrest, until the money has cleared, it's a bum twitch.
As Sean says they probably hadn't transferred the money soon enough.

Like LLL I prefer transfer but do find whereas a cheque is usually given on completion, they seem to take their time with a transfer.
Cheers
Lemoncurd

Forestboy1978

Yeah always takes longer with a transfer...

I have never heard of that Luton. "the law of terra ferma" - Regardless, if someone ever doesn't pay I will saw all the posts at ground level and take the fence home and put in storage. Sod the law.

It's just a bad timing cos my truck just cost me a fortune and still has loads of advisories, my dog has developed lumps so needs to go to the vet ASAP, a tooth at the back of my mouth fell apart 3 days ago so I need the dentist and I've developed abscesses on the opposite side of my mouth which were killing me.

BTW - I found a cure for the abscesses. Brush teeth till gums are raw, interdentally brush teeth, use mouthwash, use salt water mouthwash and THEN acquire 96.4% proof ethanol. (a polish friend gave me some) and rinse with that. It'll strip the skin from the inside of the whole mouth and you'll need to brush the dead skin away the next day but my abscesses are dead and gone :-) Just need a new back filling now or tooth removed.

higgness
Site Admin

Forestboy1978 wrote:BTW - I found a cure for the abscesses. Brush teeth till gums are raw, interdentally brush teeth, use mouthwash, use salt water mouthwash and THEN acquire 96.4% proof ethanol. (a polish friend gave me some) and rinse with that. It'll strip the skin from the inside of the whole mouth and you'll need to brush the dead skin away the next day but my abscesses are dead and gone :-) Just need a new back filling now or tooth removed.
I am now scared

seanandruby
Site Admin

Should rename this site toothing expert :;):
I wouldn' do that to a saw tooth let alone one in the gob :)
sean

Forestboy1978

pussies ;-)

Dave_L
Site Admin

That's nothing, many commercial customers of mine are 64 days from month end, so could be up to 90 days in total. Needless to say, I don't work for them anymore.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

Kuts

Dave_L wrote:That's nothing, many commercial customers of mine are 64 days from month end, so could be up to 90 days in total. Needless to say, I don't work for them anymore.

I do maintenance at two places that have 64 days, no other bitmac firm in our area will work for them.

I just charge them in accordance :cool:

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

we do work for doctors surgeries and schools and factories and its all 60 days
but as kuts says we charge commercial rates for the work
I have turned down a fair few lately as if i get the wrong vibe off someone I would rather say not in a position to tender
saves all the aggro later
LLL

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE