Do you enjoy your job?

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
seanandruby
Site Admin

I'm with Dan on this. I'm a loner anyway and working alone suits me.
Yes you could have an accident but you could have one anywhere, being home on your own poses a risk. there are, as you point out certain tasks where you need a 'baby sitter' :) and obviously Dan and i aren't thick ( well Dan anyways ) :p and would ask for a chuck on on those occasions.
Each to his/her own.
sean

sy76uk

I'm not accusing anyone of not having any common sense.
I know that for an experienced tradesman the risks are low but there is still a risk and I'm sorry but the risk involved in going into the ground, especially on older properties where nothing is ever as it should be is far greater than most of the risks involved doing DIY jobs around the house.

A 16 year old apprentice will cost you no more than £30 a day, will get your stuff unloaded for you in the morning, put it away at night, be an extra set of hands when you need it and be there if, even in the unlikely event for most of us, you do get hurt be there to help.

Another thing is you will be teaching the boy from scratch, passing your skills on so if your business grows to the point you need 2 gangs you can have faith that the young boy you taught from scratch will do things your way and that will also give you that extra bit of peace of mind.

just my 2 pence worth. I say the same to everyone that works alone.

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

we avoid because of HSE issues
my brother in law cut his thumb off a few years ago
he wasnt going to bleed out but it would have been hard for him to drive to hospital one handed

big thing is you need to get on
nothing worse having an arsehole in a small team
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

sy76uk

I know what you mean about having to get on.
I'm lucky. My 2 lads are hard working, respectful, are grateful that there learning a good trade that they both enjoy and that I'm teaching them in the correct way in the sense that no corners are cut on our jobs.
We know that we're onto a good thing so the atmosphere is always upbeat.

I was on my own for about a month last year on a 115m2 driveway. 2 weeks work turned into 4. It was backbreaking and soul destroying.
never again.

Forestboy1978

Sort of....

Winter sucks

Hot summer suck

Rain sucks

Yeah maybe I don't!

Dave_L
Site Admin

I love my job - being in control of my destiny, being able to tailor the workload to suit (usually!) and a full order book for the rest of the year, things are good and long may they remain so. I actually look forward to getting up at silly-o-clock and getting the job done, I'm so lucky to have a crew who are of the same mindset. This is a great time of year, the settled weather is just lovely to work in.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page