Advice on going it alone!

General banter, tradesmen, recommendations and warnings, surplus materials, humour and owt else!
Quaife Landscapes

Hi all,
I am hoping for a little advice on whether to or when is the right time to leave my current job. I have been around the landscaping and groundwork a game for over 10 years and Im confident in my ability.. ive most recently been working for a local company for the last couple of years whilst doing my privates under my own name at the weekends.. My private work has picked up so much that I have been working 7 days for 5 months straight and I'm toying with the idea of going it alone! Yet hesitant as if the privates slow up my regular Income won't be there to keep me afloat as it has before this surge in private work.. Interested in how a few of you guys started out and what to expect?

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

all that weekend work,soon gets nailed when doing it 7 days a week
however there is nothing like being your own boss
I would say february march is the best time,hopefully you will have picked up some leads by then for the rest of the year

cheers LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

Captain Concrete

Possibly wait till the spring were always more busy then, but you obviously don't mind the graft, and have the work. Its good to keep on side with your current employer you may be able to be a sub-contractor for them if you go a little quiet. Do you know of any other company who could give you some day work if you needed it? would also be good to have a few ££ in the bank to allow for slow payers cash flow ect. You can always go back employed, in my book its better to try and fail than fail to try good luck.
Been in concreting for 22 years

seanandruby
Site Admin

It's always a tough one to advise on.
Work has picked up a lot lately therefore
the competition is greater. I dare say your prices
have been low as a 'part time subbie'.
You will maybe have to price higher.
As the captain said 'have some money saved.'
Try and get as much on your books that you can cope with,
keep in with your boss and pray for good weather.
Oh, and have a day off now and then to recharge and spend time with the family.
sean

Quaife Landscapes

Thanks guys, I Really don't know many many contractors other than my current boss and I'm not sure how he would be if and when I end up leaving :S also yes I would definitely have Sunday's off when I can, it's just that I only have the weekends to get these jobs done, pointless turning up 1 day a week.. Spring does seem the obvious time though my privates were slow most of the summer oddly, is there anyone on here in the Essex / Thurrock area?

seanandruby
Site Admin

Looked at your website and it looks like you are already up and running and established for the last 10 years ???
sean

Quaife Landscapes

I have been Landscaping and paving for the last 10 years, running gangs for other companies in the last 5, and doing my privates alone at the weekends for the last 2.. I am only 27 :)

Quaife Landscapes

And I made my own website a month or 2 ago on reg123, in preparation for the leap of faith

seanandruby
Site Admin

I think all that's left to say is ...good luck, you seem well tooled up for the LOF :)
sean