Decorative Surface Chippings

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Melanie Wright

Hi Tony

You may remember me, i spoke to you in June about laying a patio with Marshalls Timberstones.

This is now complete,not bad either for a first timer.

I would now like to finish it off with some decorative gravel of some kind (type not yet decided, any ideas as to what would work well) around the edges.

My 1st question is on two sides it will meet up to with the house(50cm from slabs) & conservatory(30cm from slabs). Does this gravel have to be 2 courses below the damp proof course like slabs would or doesn't it matter.

2nd question, at the slab end would i bring it up to the level of the slabs or just below to allow water drainage & to stop the gravel straying onto the slabs.

p.s this web site was invaluable when we were laying the slabs, they were a bit tricky to level as you had said but found it easier after the first 1/6 dozen.

Thanks

84-1093879891

Hi again, Melanie,

great to hear you got the Timberstone laid - what do your think of them? Are you pleased with the finished effect or are you underwhelmed, as some other Timberstone users have been?

Anyway - the gravel dressing should be 150mm below dpc, just like a solid surfacing would be. If you sneak up 10-20mm, it's not the end of the world, but, strictly speaking, it should be at least 150mm below dpc.

And to your second Q, I'd keep the gravel down a fraction from the top of the solid paving. As you seem to have guessed, if the gravel is put in quite generously, it spills over onto the paving, so keep it down 10mm or so. It will need topping up at some time, probably next spring, so if you're buying summat out of the ordinary for your gravel dressing, make sure you order a couple of spare bags that will keep you going for the next few years. :)

Any pics?