That time of year again...

For the discussion of hand tools, power tools, operated and non-operated plant, and all sorts of kit associated with the paving and drainage trades
Tommy

Slowly been clearing our green waste dump.

From this

and this

The management finally realised that two bulk skips a week was barely making a dent in it.

So we took advantage of a contractors machine on site already,

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

nice stuff tommy
LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

michaelthegardener

i recon the mower was 1400 quid :p

Tommy

I reckon you've seen the price elsewhere :p

We're supposed to be getting another 3. I'm not a fan though

Pablo

I'm not either Tommy they look pretty heavy with the roll cage and big engine they're bound to make a nasty wheel mark in softer ground. Do you cut across many banks otherwise the oil pressurisation is a waste of time. Your bosses love flashing the cash don't they I hope you work for a private education institution and aren't state funded. One good investment would be a shredder you could compost all that greenwaste and spread it as a mulch through all your beds and trees you'd save a fortune and could probably get some kind of a grant for doing it to.
Can't see it from my house

Tommy

Everything you say Pablo is spot on. Heavy as hell, the tyres cut up even firm ground. We do cut many banks, but also have the Ferris Hydrowalk.
To be fair though, it is nice and quiet, and will run for two 9 hour days on a tank of fuel.

We've been campaigning for some sort of chipper/shredder for the greenwaste, and a lot of the pile has gone down to the farmer next door for spreading on his fields.
All our shrub work is contracted out, as is the major tree work.

I work for a University, which is state funded, but the whole maintenance and commercial side is run as a limited company, so has little to no impact on the academic funding.
The management skimp all year on the budget, just in case of emergencies, and then have a influx of new machines to use up the budget, so they dont get reduced for the following year ;)

London Stone Paving

Tommy wrote:The management skimp all year on the budget, just in case of emergencies, and then have a influx of new machines to use up the budget, so they dont get reduced for the following year ;)

Never understood that policy. Its widespread in all public service departments.

Where's the motivation to be frugal and get value for money? No wonder were so bloody skint

Tommy

Finally got a go on the McConnel roller mower

Cracking finish in long grass considering

95% cleared the dump

flowjoe

Thought the last two pics were a before and after sequence with the new McConnel, bit savage :)
http://draindomain.com

Many paths can lead to riches, few in sunlight, some in ditches