New Paths & Patio

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
JBloggs

Tony - first of all congratulations on an excellent site! I know next to nothing about the subject matter but your site is attractive, informative, easy to find one's way around in, loads quickly, superbly laid out - one of the best sites I've ever seen on ANY subject!

Anyway, I'm considering having the front & side paths and the patio relaid. I've got the following queries -

1. We've been advised that Indian Sandstone is probably best for our needs. Certainly from what I've seen, the real stone looks much better than the manufactured stuff. However, I've read your comments that some of the Indian Sandstone isn't very good, and about trying to get a guarantee. Apart from that, how can we REALLY tell if it's OK? (I've tried rubbing the corners as you suggest and it certainly doesn't crumble, but then I haven't got a bricky's fingers!).

2. The thickness is about 25mm, the minimum you suggest - will that be OK?

3. The price of the flagstones is about £30 per sq metre, plus VAT - is that about right?

4. In your Guide Prices, you use a figure of £66.50 incl VAT per sq metre for a patio; a quote we've had would be almost double this but then we live in the south east, we're having a brick edging around the paths & patio, new drain covers (ie with matching stone) & part of the new patio will have to be built up. I know it's difficult for you to say without more info but any comment?

5. Lastly, the DPC at the side of the house. Elsewhere on your site, I saw a figure of 150mm mentioned as the minimum, is that right? We may have a narrow line of shingle between the flags and the walls of the house - does the same figure apply?

Grateful for any advice!

84-1093879891

Hi,

it's not easy to spot if the imported sandstone is 'pukka' or not; it comes down to experience, I suppose, but checking for crumbliness is one simple test, and, from what you say, it's passed. The other simple visual test is to look for de-lamination. This is where the flag is splitting into separate thin layers. This can sometimes be spotted by checking the edges of the flags, and, if there are any obvious 'gaps', then I'd avoid it.
One way of testing the hardness of the stone is to try scratching the surface with a screwdriver. Does the blade penetrate the stone to any significant depth, creating a groove, or is it just a minor scratch on the surface?

25mm really is as thin as you dare go, and, to be honest, I'd be wary with that. There is 30mm stuff on the market for the same sort of price. It must be laid on a full bed, either a semi-dry mix (my preferred method) or a mortar mix. At 25mm thick, these flags aren't strong enough to withstand loading. The Blue Peter method of 5 mortar spots is a definite No-No - too many voids. :(

30 quid per m2 is about the going rate. I can get them for as little as 20 quid up here in t'north, and I know some BMs are knocking them out at 41 quid in that London Village place, so 30 is about right.

With regard to the price you've been quoted for the work. I'd ask for a breakdown of the price. How much for the paving, how much for the edging, how much for the drainage, etc. That will give you a clearer idea of where the money is going. I'd also get at least 3 quotes.

And finally, yes, 150mm is the minimum recommended distance between paving and dpc, whether you have a splash strip or not. You;re not going to be prosecuted if it's only, say, 100mm, but it's the sort of thing a surveyor picks up on iof you come to sell the property and it can lead to damp problems in some, but not all, cases.

How's that? :)

JBloggs

Excellent Tony, thanks a lot.