Football pitch drainage

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
70-1093879243

Great site, my first visit, Im a general builder and secretary of Hannakins Farm Football club in Billericay Essex.
We have a football pitch which runs adjacent to a stream but gets boggy when wet in its lowest area, 1/5th of its total area. One of our committee members had a landscaper look at it and he proposed a perforated pipe drainage network, discharging into the stream. the overall network consists of 300m of pipe, laid in what I think you call a herringbone pattern. His sketch implies that the pipes are the same size throughout. Our problem a the club is that we cant afford his or the other quote that we have had and propose doing the job ourselves. Ive printed off and read your article on drainage, but need to know some more technical detail and where I might buy materials? Im thinking along the lines of 100mm polypipe in 100m rolls.
Is normal peashingle ok and what membrane should I use. Money is tight so any cost saving advise would be helpful.
Thank you

84-1093879891

You can use 80mm dia or 100mm dia perforated polypipe, which should cost no more than 1 quid per linear metre from a BM, or half that from a proper Civils or Drainage Merchant such as Cooper Clarke or WT Burdens.

For gravel surround, use whatever is available locally at a reasonable price. A10 pipe bedding is OK or any clean (ie, no fines) gravel that is 10mm or above, up to around 30mm maximum.

For a separation membrane, you can't beat Terram 1000 which you can buy via Greenham Trading or some of the larger BMs, or even online from the Terram Website for under 1 quid per m2.

Careful consideration is needed for the outfall, and to the sequence of works. You need to minimise disruption to the un-excavated sections of the field, or you'll be playing all your matches 'away' next season. Use decking sheets or similar to keep the site clean and to prevent the mini-excavator from chewing up the pitch.

It's not rocket science, but it does take some planning and thinking ahead. If you can get a local groundworker to help out, it should be a doddle. :)

Good luck!

70-1093879243

Thanks Tony
Im off now to see what I can buy for the job locally. Should I use pipe without holes for the final section that runs 20-30 thru scrub into the stream?

Cheers Kev

84-1093879891

It's not essential - a solid clayware or uPVC pipe is a good idea for the outfall pipe, but you can use the perforated pipe for everything else.

While I'm thinking - it's worth checking with your local Building Control, as agents for the Water Companies, that there would not be a problem outfalling to the ditch you mentioned. Most would have no problem with such a proposal, but they sometimes have an Outfall Detail that they prefer such schemes to use. This usually involves 'dressing' the outfall with a bit of rock or summat to make it look 'decent' and not just a pipe sticking out of a bank. :)