Railway sleepers - Have the rules changed?

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
Paul Ievins

I thought I read somewhere that you were no longer allowed to use traditional railway sleepers in private gardens. Is this true?

84-1093879891

Is it eck!

They're no longer allowed to use creosote to treat sleepers, and it's strongly recommended that you don't use sleepers that have been treated with creosote, tar, diesel or other suspect "preservatives" in gardens, and certainly not near food crops such as your strawberries or tomatoes, but it's not been banned, as such.

Paul Ievins

Thanks for the reply, it's just as I thought. As a consequence I wondered whether your section on railway sleepers ought to include a note to that effect.
Regards,

84-1093879891

There are some major revisions planned for that section of the website. The plans were discussed with a sleeper supply company last week, with a view to them providing some step-by-step how-to photos for a number of sleeper-based projects, and I'll provide the text and the web-hosting.

I'm just waiting for the bumf to come through and then I can start the rebuild, including updated info on the safety or otherwise of some of the "preservatives" used with reclaimed sleepers.

Paul Ievins

Brill!
I'll wait till then before getting the latest CD version