Yorkstone Flags in Kitchen

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
archive

We have relaid some lovely old york flags found underneath a concrete kitchen floor. It looks lovely, but dispite sealing with HG impregnator and a couple of coats of Golvpolish, it still looks very dull, although the different shades have come through. Anyone know of anything to put on that will make them look a bit brighter? I don't really want to varnish them.

We have also laid some relcaimed flags at the front of the cottage, they are old and weathered, should they be sealed?

Many thanks

Kate

84-1093879891

Hi Kate,

did you clean up the flags in the kitchen before sealing them? The actual type of stone, and there are/were hundreds of different potential quarries for york stone, will determine how well they show up when sealed. Some of the browny yorkstone that has a high iron content, does not improve when sealed, while some of the lighter buff colours and the greeny types often come up much darker.
When it comes to sealing yorkstone in a situation such as this, it's almost impossible to state that such-and-such a sealant will *definitely* bring about the desired results. I have found that different sealants have different effects with different stone and so it's very much a game of trial and error. One of the best sealants I've used is one developed for block paving - Resiblock 22, but, as I say, it's impossible to guarantee it will be the right sealant for your stone.

As for the flags outside, I would *never* seal yorkstone laid outdoors. It just looks totally wrong. Clean them up with a power washer and leave them as nature intended. :)

archive

Thanks for the speedy reply. I did clean the flags several times with a brickcleaner, as there were some residues of concrete on them. They were left for several weeks and then I cleaned regularly with soapy water. Once sealed, the flags have actually come up quite a nice colour, greys, with flecking of black in them, some slightly lighter with a sort of marbling effect on them which and this looks nice. Its just they look a bit dull. I suppose I see all these magazines with shiny york flags and want that look. I know some people varnish them, but I wondered if there was any other polishes on the market.

Thanks for the advice about the ones outside, it saves a lot of work to leave them, they are really interesting to look at and came from a reclaimation yard, some have little gulleys worn into them and I do wonder where they spent their former years!

By the way, we have also laid some Indian stone flags in the dining room (sandstone/fossil) and in the Utility room (bluey grey), I am not convinced about the quality of these as they are already beginning to flake a little in places, how should I go about treating these?

Sorry to be such a nuisance!

Kate

84-1093879891

Brick Cleaning Acid is not the best thing to use when cleaning stone flags. It reacts badly with iron oxide and can stain some flags very, very badly, ruin them, in fact, but it seems you've been lucky.

Anyway, all I can suggest about the glossy look you want is to try a different sealant, such as the Resiblock. Have a look at their website or sales@resiblock.com their sales dept and tell them you were sent by me, and they'll be able to advise you.

As for the Indian flagstones, you're not the first to comment on their flakiness - see the thread below.

And nuisance? Nuisance? Don't be daft! The whole point of this forum if for people such as yourself! :))