drainage

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
peternorthall

Hi All, I recently posted this to the real gardeners forum, who suggested I should try posting here for expert advice, I hope you can help...
I recently moved into a new property in central London. It has a 30' x 30' (massive!) fully enclosed garden, which encourages me to follow in the footsteps of the rest of my family and get gardening.
The garden has previously been mostly paved and built on (temp wood structures), with very little given to plant or lawn. Grass which is evident is mostly moss, and winter evidence suggests drainage is a problem. This is also suspected because we are only 500 yds from the Thames (near Tower Bridge), so I would also expect v dense soil/clay.
I am removing most of the paving, then I will rotavate the whole area. I hope to raise a central circle (20' dia.)of the garden for the lawn.
I have heard speak of creating a 'Soak' below the lawn area, apparently putting a layer of rubble (of which I have plenty) and sand below the topsoil to aid drainage.
Is this right? What are the specifications (depths etc)? Are there any better alternatives?
Plus, as I'm starting this garden from scratch, any general purpose advice you could offer will be most welcome.
Thanks in anticipation.
Peter

(Edited by peternorthall at 4:36 pm on June 1, 2002)

84-1093879891

Hi Peter,

read the page on Soakaways and the link to the FAQ I wrote for uk.rec.gardening on Improving your Soil. I'm sure they'll help you think up more questions, which you can post back here after you've read about the basics. :)