Stonemarket Millstone flags as steps

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
71-1093879310

Hi Tony
I am designing a patio which leads down to grass level via two steps. I am planning on using a 9 size millstone random pattern on the patio and then various 620mm deep sizes for the treads of the steps. My contractor would prefer to start at grass level and build the steps up first laying the bricks we have chosen as risers on top of the lower tread. (as opposed to laying the all the risers and then butting each tread flag up to the riser at the rear of the tread - with the appropriate joint). Would you have any prefered method?
Also the contractor's method necesitates a 'step' at grass level on to which he would lay his first riser. I have no problem with this as it means keeping the grass neat at the start of the steps is much easier. My plan was to use the smallest 'depth' for this step ie 310mm. Again - any thoughts based on your experience of what works and what does not?

84-1093879891

Hi Greig,

I like a 'landing' at the base of a flight of steps (if you can call two steps a flight!) as I feel it looks more professional and defines the start/end of the structure as well as providing a safe footing for users, so I'd definitely incorporate one. However, I'd make it at least 450mm width, so that it does provide an adequate footing for users. 300mm isn't really wide enough to stand upon safely - my boots are more than 300mm long!

I'm not a big fan of laying brickwork on top of flags, though, because the whole structure becomes dependent on preceding courses of work and, if one section works loose (be it tread or riser), everything above it is affected. By bedding the risers on a small footing of concrete and then abutting the flag tread, then, if the tread or riser gives way or works loose, it affects only that one step, and not everything else.

Obviously, this isn't as critical on a two step flight, but the principal remains. If you're the client and/or the designer, then you should get what you want, unless there is a sound structural or safety reason to do otherwise.