Water rising to surface

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Dave_L
Site Admin

I agree - it needs to be left. Any compaction always brings the water to the surface.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page

Tony McC
Site Admin

If you compact when the sub-base/laying course is loaded with water, the vibration brings water to the surface and this water inevitably carries an amount of sediment/silt/fines from the laying course material, which has the unfortunate habit of staining the block surface.

If you've used a pre-compacted laying course, then simply sanding the joints and advising the clients to take it easy until you can get back to complete final compaction, the pavement should be OK. In fact, conditions such as this are the ideal opportunity to try the wet grouting technique.

However, if you've relied on the uncompacted laying course method (or the now outdated partial pre-compaction), trafficking the pavement prior to fimnal compaction carries a risk of the blocks becoming differentially settled, especially if there are vehicles performing turning movements. All of which is just another reason to use the pre-compacted laying course method whenever possible.

Assuming you've at least 100mm of Type 1 and the correct grade of laying course, once we've managed 24 hours without precipitation, it should be safe to undertake final compaction, but, as ever, test a small, out-of-the-way corner first, just to be on the safe side. Nowt worse than stained blocks delaying the customer from putting their moniker on the bottom of that cheque!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

i have done a couple of repairs lately and the same thing happened so i tried the wet grouting technique,it seems to work but i prefer dry grouting with kiln dried,
in fairness the weather the last 2 months has been atrocious and apart from hail, rain is about the biggest pain for block paving.
as the gaffer says it will dry out enough, given a few dry days
cheers LLL :)
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

dig dug dan

I have been lucky this week. started a dig out for 38sqm drive, 90 degree herringbone(dead parallel too, easy cutting), Managed to block yesterday (in the rain) and today was dry enough for the kiln dried sand. Job finished.
I thought i was going to have to leave it for ages before i could get back, and the client was desperate to park on it!
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"