drain level

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
thewheel

have just installed a second soil pipe and used a spare outlet from the inspection chamber and laid a new run of pipe approx 6 metres, i have noticed at the inspection chamber end i have an adjustable bend fitted and there is a small amount of water sitting in the bottom of the adjustable joint, it appears the inspection chamber is not level, do you think this is likely to cause a problem , i could straighten the chamber but this would mean digging it out which i would rather not do unless it is going to give me a problem

cheers dave

ps i would say the standing water is approx 20mm deep other than that the drain seems to function ok

84-1093879891

It's less than perfect, Dave. Would it be a massive job to correct the IC? If so, it's worth 'tweaking' it now, to get rid of the standing water.

If the drain had to be inspected by the BCO, standing water in an IC is enough for them to fail the assessment, but, as this is just you doing the DIY, you could leave it for now. As long as the IC is regularly flushed from one source or another, I don't think it's going to be a major problem, and I would lose any sleep over it.

thewheel

the standing water is in two of the outlet pipes both of which lead to soil pipes in two separate bathrooms so will be regularly flushed as there are wc connected to both pipes, the standing water appears to be only in the adjustable joint section, i have had a good look at the ic chamber and one of the outlet pipes runs to nextdoors ic and i have only got approx half a metre to there fence, so i suppose the only way i could do this would be to raise the ic at the other end the one with the two outlets to the soil pipes not sure how much of the run of pipes i would have to gig up to correct this, i have not moved this so i guess it must have been fitted this way, i was worried in case the standing water would eventually start to seep through the seals on the adjustable joints or even some how block the drain, sorry if this seems daft but this is the first time i have laid any drains and i dont want to give myself a problem later on

cheers dave

(Edited by thewheel at 10:15 am on July 29, 2003)

84-1093879891

The seals should be more than capable of withstanding a bit of water, Dave. I think you can put the cover back over this IC and stop worrying about it. I've seen far worse in older, brick-built chambers, and they still manage to function for decades! :)

thewheel

thanks for the advice its good to know there is somewere us diyers can come for advice, exellent site cheers