drainage for gravel drive

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
RACHELBENSON

Hi
Iam learning lots from this site.
Am I correct in thinking that drainage for gravel drives needs to be the perforated clay pipes laid within the gravel.
We have a problem with dampness penetrating through porous brickwork below the DPC which is related to drainage problems with our present drive construction. We intend to dig out the old concrete,it is at present only one brick below DPC, should we take it to 2? Then we intend to put a membrane against the outside house wall, lay appropriate drainage pipes to intercept ground/surface water and then fill with gravel. Does this sound like a good plan?
We intend to call in contractors, do we look for drainage /civil engineers or will the normal drive contractors be able to help us with the drainage too?
Really think you ought to be on some sort of comission for this site!! it's brilliant.
Thanks
Oh yes , are we allowed to connect the surface water up to the foul drains, the house is old with extensions, the old bits have a combined system and the new bits seem to run freely when hosed for some time, but we have no clue where they go?

84-1093879891

Rachel writted...

Am I correct in thinking that drainage for gravel drives needs to be the perforated clay pipes laid within the gravel.

Not nesser celery. If a sub-surface drain is required at all, it can be plasticware, but clayware is better at shallow depths. However, unless there is a big problem with groundwater, sub-surface drainage should not be necessary and a normal surface drainage system of some sort should be appropriate.

We intend to dig out the old concrete,it is at present only one brick below DPC, should we take it to 2?

Yes - I would. If you're going to all that trouble, you might as well do it right!

Does this sound like a good plan?

I'm not sure - without the benefit of seeing the site for meself, I can't really say what is best, but, from the linmited information I have, what you're proposing sounds feasible.

will the normal drive contractors be able to help us?

A good driveway contractor should be able to cope with this job. In fact, listening to their preferred remedial options would be a good way of sorting the wheat from the chaff.

Really think you ought to be on some sort of comission for this site!!

I agree wholeheartedly! Some kind users, such as the innestimable George Galley Rat, have made donations to the "Keep Tony Properly Hydrated Campaign" in the form of cases of Boddingtons left at my local Offy, but fine Pork Pies, Jameson Whiskey or holidays in sunny climes are also welcome. ;)

are we allowed to connect the surface water up to the foul drains?

Only if there's absolutely no other option and as long as you use a trapped connection.

Is that it? :)

RACHELBENSON

BRILLIANT

THANKS VERY MUCH