Contractors

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
71-1093879315

Have not had much success in finding a contractor to pave my rear garden. Surface area approx 16 square metres and would like a light coloured block. One contractor offered massive cost for (basic/cheap) slabs and two more failed to arrive depite staying at home for the meetings. Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

84-1093879891

16m2 isn't much of an enticement to many contractors, I'm afraid, Guy. I don't know too many contractors down there in London Village, but those I do have contact with tell me they are rushed off their feet at the moment and are only looking at 'prestige' jobs, by which they mean larger contracts or those that will get them noticed.

Maybe someone else reading this forum will be able to suggest a good contractor. Is it North London where you live, or are you south of that little stream that runs through the middle of the village? ;)

71-1093879315

Explains why the contractors never turned up! Looks like a DIY job using slabs rather than blocks, how long should I assign to get the job done, a weekend? Can you reccommend any decent light coloured slabs???

Many thanks yet again...I think my last reply missed the correct thread and was mailed by mistake...

84-1093879891

If you're not mad keen on the DIY, you'll probably find block laying is a damn sight easier than flagging (or 'slabbing' as it's called in the south). I know from the feedback I get from other DIYers that they tend to enjoy the block laying, but flagging sends them mad, trying to get the bedding just right.

As for light coloured flags - depends what you're looking for. Something simple? Summat textured? Olde Worlde riven? Funky and contemporary? There are so many to choose from - I started building a 'gallery' of all the different types of blocks and patio flags about 6 weeks ago and it's still nowhere near finished!

Best suggestion is to get yourself a few catalogues. The Marshalls and Bradstone offerings are essential reading (although the Marshalls 2002 is so arty-farty, it's hard to judge the actual paving!) as they cover the widest ranges, but there's some really good products from companies such as Stonemarket, Bowland, Atlas, Charcon etc.

Tell me more about how you envisage the patio, and I'll see if I can suggest a few 'candidates'. :)

71-1093879315

Looks like 'Destroy It Yourself' may well be the route to completion and I take your advice for the block over flag issue.

So, assuming a 'block' finish is required, rather than flag, and the blocks should be light in colour and suitable for a North facing garden... what types might you recommend from your magnificent database?!I think at this stage a simple design would be best so blocks all round please!

84-1093879891

Olde worlde or modern? And what coloour is the house brick or dominant colour of the walls? Have you got a piccy?

71-1093879315

Many thanks again for your assistance. I have despatched a mail inculding a picture as requested.

Guy