Drainage for paved area?

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
Kieran

Hi all,
My back garden measures 7m x 9m and I am currently in the process of paving the entire area. The problem is that my garden slopes towards the house, so in order to ensure that the patio slopes away from the house, I have a lot of digging to do. My query is as follows: can I allow the paving to slope towrds the house if I install some type of linear drainage chute into my existing storm water drain?
Thanks in advance,
Kieran

84-1093879891

Hi Kieran,

the best way of dealing with this sort of scenario is to install a linear drain or a dished channel about a metre or so from the house and make that the low point...

...if you use a dished channel, you'll need to incorporate a gully at some point, bit that should worl out cheaper (and easier) than using a linear drain.

Note how the paving falls from the house to the channel at around 1:40 and then the rest of the paving backfalls from what was the garden.

Does that make sense?

Kieran

Thanks Tony,
That's perfect. Just what I had in mind. Forgive my ignorance but do you mind me asking what exactly a 'dished channel' is? Is it just a plastic chute? If so, do you know if it's possible to get covers for these?
Sorry for all the questions!
Best regards,
Kieran

Kieran

Tony,
Just priced some linear drainage systems and they range from 18-20 euros per half metre (12-15 stg). As I need around 7 metres, it makes the job very expensive. Is there a cheaper way to construct the drainage gully? I can shape one out of concrete, but obviously this wouldn't be covered like the linear drainage system.
Thanks again for your help,
Kieran

84-1093879891

There's are some illustrations/pictures of dished channels on the Road Kerbs page, but, for a patio, you're probably better off with the Keychannel unit from Marshalls. 200x2200mm and only 50mm deep, they sell at around 6 quid per linear metre (1.20 each).

They are sold in Ireland, as I've seen them used on a relative's property in Co. Wicklow.....

...they come in red, brindle (red/black] and charcoal, and they are a doddle to lay. The 'dish' is only 25mm or so deep.

The larger, 915x250mm units in concrete grey (shown on the Road Kerbs page) cost around 3-4 quid apiece, but are not really patio-friendly.

The B&Q DIY Shed's in the UK are selling a Recyfix linear drain, complete with galvanised steel grating for 10 quid per 1 metre length. There may be something similar in the Republic, but it's a couple of years since I was over and I'm not sure what's available.