old land drain system

Foul and surface water, private drains and public sewers, land drains and soakaways, filter drains and any other ways of getting rid of water.
antony hare

I hope you can help us out with some much needed advice.
I live in a 1900s cottage (block of four - garden slopes away from the house)
approx 2weeks ago a large clear water puddle/pond! appear approx half way down our garden (total length 200'). at the botom of the garden is a ditch running along the bottom of the gardens.
across the road from us is a ditch running towards the house into the drainage system
I hope this isn't too confusing!!!
we have been informed that this used to flow across the road towards us in some way, but was redirected to drain away down the into a public drain some way down the road instead of ours
the local authority have been out and dug holes in the garden and have said they found a large concrete slab which could indicate a septic tank was used for foul water in the past and that our clear water could be draining to that now.
sewerage is now connected to main drainage system
i dont know what insight into the world of drains you can give me ! is this their (LA) responsibility or the residents of this block
you may detect a slight hint of desparation, this is because three weeks ago we sold our house and on weds after easter the valuation is being carried out!!!!!!!!
what do you think. i am not sure i have explained this with any real clarity!!!
antony

84-1093879891

I can't follow your description 100%, Antony, but, from what you say, I can spot two possible get-outs for the LA.

1 - the age of the property. As this cottage was built before the 1936/37 Public Health Act, the sewer system is the repsonsibility of the property owner.

2 - preliminary investigation by the LA suggests that it is surface water (what you call 'clear' water) from your property that is being directed to the possible septic tank, rather than water from the ditch, which means it is outside their remit.

If there was some way of testing whether water from a public area, ie, the ditch you mention, was ending up in your garden, then it would be the responsibility of the LA (as agents of the Water Authority) to take any necessary remedial action to prevent water entering your property. However, the LA has already been on site and investigated, and, to be fair to them, if there is any suggestion that it is the LA's responsibility, they usually accept the work and get it done as soon as possible. If they are saying 'it's not us, Gov!' then, short of bringing in your own team of drainage inspectors, you have to accept their word.

All you can realistically do is wait to see what the Surveyor comes up with on Wednesday.

antony hare

the La guy mentioned that the septic tank has not been used for some while but may have a split or hole in it. there fore it has slowly been filling up over time and has now reach its limit and is spilling over.

he also said that there are grant available for this type of problem because of the age of the house. have you ever heard of this?

84-1093879891

I've heard of old septic systems rupturing, and I've heard of grants for new or replacement septic systems, but the grants tend to be a matter of local policy, rather than national standards, and, as far as I know, have nowt to do with the age of the house, but with access to existing sewer systems and public health concerns.

Still, if they're offering money to help fix the problem, snatch their hand off! :)