Replace MOT1 with Soil Concrete for patio - Does it really work?

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
anschtan

Replace MOT1 with Soil Concrete for patio - Does it really work?

Hi everyone!
I’m a DIYer and I’m currently trying to build my own patio. I’ve been watching some YouTube videos on how to do it, and now I stumbled over something that has me confused. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNoWVPVb6Mo
This person says hes a civil engineer and you can use soil concrete, or cement stabilized soil, as a subbase. He says it’s a cheaper and easier alternative to using MOT1, and apparently you can use whatever soil you have in your garden using a 6:1 ratio of soil to cement and mix it.

I’m intrigued by this idea, but also skeptical. It seems too good to be true, and I can’t find much information about it online. The only source I found that talks about soil concrete is this one: https://www.cement.org/cement-concrete/ ... oil-cement
It seems like a legit method, but it never seems to be used in the context of small projects like a patio, only for road construction or pavement.

So I’m wondering if anyone here has any experience or knowledge about using soil concrete as a subbase for a patio or other project? Do you need to test the soil before using it? Do I adjust the cement ratio if the soil is clayey or sandy? I know I would still need a laying course/bedding on top, but if it works it would save me a lot of time.

I would appreciate any advice or feedback from you guys. Thanks in advance!

digerjones

Re: Replace MOT1 with Soil Concrete for patio - Does it really work?

Me, personally would use it. Not sure how big your patio is but i would just use all the information on this site. Obviously its up to you. Good luck
dylan