Block Paving construction detail

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
Jon999

Block Paving construction detail

I’m planning on replacing an old driveway with block paving and have a few questions.

The car that parks on it is approximately 2.25t, to get on the drive there’s a footpath in front with the road being lower than the driveway.

When I look around the area a see a lot of failures where the blocks that meet the tarmac FP are now moving, would using an edging strip help prevent its?

To take the weight of the vehicle, what depth of sub base should I be looking, same for the bedding depth.

Bedding material, sharp sand to my knowledge is typically used. But recently I’ve seen people using clean 2-6m limestone?

royalestones

Re: Block Paving construction detail

Replacing your old driveway with block paving is a great project. I can help answer your questions regarding the installation and materials involved.

Using an edging strip: Yes, using an edging strip can help prevent movement and maintain the integrity of your block paving. It provides a solid boundary and helps to contain the blocks in place. Make sure to choose a sturdy and durable edging material that can withstand the weight and pressure exerted by vehicles.

Depth of sub base: The depth of the sub base will depend on various factors, including the type of soil and the expected load-bearing capacity. As a general guideline, a minimum depth of 150mm (6 inches) is commonly recommended. However, for heavier vehicles like yours, it's advisable to increase the depth to around 200-250mm (8-10 inches) to ensure adequate support and stability.

Bedding depth: The bedding depth refers to the layer of material upon which the block paving will be laid. Typically, a depth of 25-40mm (1-1.5 inches) is recommended for the bedding layer. This layer acts as a cushion and allows for adjustments during the installation process.

Bedding material: While sharp sand is commonly used as a bedding material for block paving, clean 2-6mm limestone can also be suitable. Limestone can provide good stability and drainage, but it's important to ensure that the particles are small and clean to avoid any potential issues with uneven settling or movement.

When planning your project, it's always a good idea to consult with a professional driveway installer or contractor. like Royale Stones https://royalestones.co.uk. They can assess your specific requirements, local conditions, and provide personalized recommendations to ensure a successful and durable block paving installation.

Jon999

Re: Block Paving construction detail

Thanks for the reply, yes naturally will consult with a professional but want ensure they’re giving me the right answer, not one that’s easiest for them.