Jointing an old sett driveway

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Julesandal

Hi
Firstly, can I say what an excellent site you have! I have learnt so much about this topic that I was struggling to find anywhere else!

I have an old sett driveway that is very uneven and not very uniformed. The depth ranges from none (filled with soil) to 70mm in places. I would say on average depth is around 30mm to the top of the setts. The joint gaps range from nothing at all to 75mm in a few places. Again, on average I would say it’s around 30mm in places. However, in some places they are touching each other!

I’ve read through the material on here and I feel a loose-jointed material is probably what I think would be best. However, the driveway slopes left to right and back to front, I live on top of a windy hill and in Manchester, so rain is highly prevalent! So, I think I would need to look at a joint stabiliser too.

I was wondering if someone could give me help on a few questions:
1. On the loose fill jointing page, it says I should use a splitt type material. How far down would I need to rake out the joints that are currently filled with soil? Is there a minimum depth I should try to achieve?
2. Im struggling to find anyone who does a 4mm crushed hard-rock aggregate( known as “splitt�). The best I can find is 6mm. Does anyone know of any stockists?
3. Due to the unevenness of the setts, I don’t think I would be able to use a compacter. Does this mean that it wouldn’t be worthwhile applying the limestone dust? - splitt or grit jointing may be topped-up using a limestone dust, as this will loosely bind together the uppermost few millimetres of the jointing and help minimise loss to scour.
4. Are my joints too wide to be loosely filled?

Any other tips, more than welcome!
Thank you in advance
Alan
Alan Paget

Tony McC
Site Admin

Re: Jointing an old sett driveway

Alan,

actually, I *don't* think splitt is a viable jointing option in the conditions you describe. On a gradient? Significant surface water scour? In Manchestoh? That all screms 'bound' jointing medium to me, so that means a cement mortar, a quality resin compound, or the old traditional pitch. The pros and cons of each are considered in some detauil on the main website.

If you can post a photie of what you have, it would give us some idea of what might be more appropriate....
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Julesandal

Re: Jointing an old sett driveway

Hi
Sorry for delay in replying, life got in the way! Here you go

https://ibb.co/6JHQzJN
https://ibb.co/c16nnBm
https://ibb.co/DwmqTg6

Thanks

Alan
Alan Paget