Granodust or more type 1 for final 25mm of sub base

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
R1chyo

Granodust or more type 1 for final 25mm of sub base

Hi there, just finishing off the prep on my drive before putting on the aggregate top layer (15mm granite/basalt). Unfortunately my contractor ran out of time to finish the job so it’s down to me :-) Subbase is basically there, but the level just needs bringing up in a few places first. It is clear that the type 1 used (recycled) is way too chunky in places and whilst it’s been wacked down there are areas which are well compacted with little visible gaps between the particles, there are others that just look like rubble packed together! I’m not happy with this, and combined with the fact I have a small pile of clean rubble to dispose of I thought I would:

- hire a red rhino 4000 concrete crusher for a day (approx £200), crush up the rubble and take out all the chunky bits in the drive, then relevel and whack.
- bring the final level up (what’s left) with either a) good type 1 (non recycled) or Granodust.
- whack again, add first layer of aggregate then whack
- add final layer then whack.

Really grateful if anyone can validate my approach and suggest whether Granodust may be a better option for the last say 20mm of subbase (my ex-contractors original suggestion). I suppose I could avoid the crusher and just pay to muck the chunky stuff away and buy more type 1 - seems like a waste tho?

Many thanks!

dig dug dan

Re: Granodust or more type 1 for final 25mm of sub base

Given your location, I guess you spoke to Charlie at micro machine hire as he had the red rhino 4000.
I would do that, and crush on a fine setting.
Grano dust is really for under astroturf. A waste of money under a drive that's having stone on top.
You will get a really good end product with the crusher that will whack down spot on.
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

R1chyo

Re: Granodust or more type 1 for final 25mm of sub base

Thanks - yes that’s right! Much appreciated.