New Sandstone Patio

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
hjb

New Sandstone Patio

Hi All

Unfortunately I am here as I think I may be getting my hands burnt but cowboys.

The guys seem to have had good review and provide a guarantee on their work with I suspect is worth nothing.

Few queries and concerns I have…

1. They removed the old slabs and never excavated any ground. Under the old slabs was at least a spades depth of Sand.

2.They have put type 1 down straight on top of the old sand, whacked it down but don’t think it’s quite 100mm. The next layer has me truely baffled…they are putting down 20-30mm sharp sand, whack down. Next geo fabric, and finally the sand/cement mix full bed that the sandstone will go onto.

3. Channel drains were to run along the patio sleepers opposite the house as the patio run was to be away from the house. I was told on day 2 once the type 1 was down that due to the levels the patio would now run towards the house. Channel drains would also now be on the house side with a thin chip soakaway. The main issue he is the final height will be approx 50mm below the house vents. I had read this should be 150mm min!

Seems so strange to me they never dug any this out with a digger, which would have eliminated any this…end of day it’s me who pays for the digger and skips.

Then add on the fact them seem to be adding in a layer of sharp sand that is not needed as far as I can tell is even more bizarre, more labour involved is bringing all this sand round to the back!

I’ve asked them not to put the sand in so they can get back 20-30mm in height but they are telling me this layer needs to be in here.

All advice welcome on this