Heavy duty jointing for transverse ridge setts

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
R1chyo

Heavy duty jointing for transverse ridge setts

Hi there,

I have recently installed a "transverse ridge" threshold in 50mm deep basalt setts (random lengths) as per https://www.pavingexpert.com/gravel01. The ridge is set on a deep reinforced concrete slab as I wanted to get maximum strength for traffic. The setts are fairly non-uniform so I have a wide variety of joint widths (3-10mm approx) - joints are fairly deep in general however. There is a possibility of some water pooling in the joints, but mainly seems to drain. My main concern is that the surface of the setts varies from smooth, without imperfections, to quite heavily pitted. This looks as intended, but concerned that using a sweep in method, the pits will fill up with compound and spoil the effect.

So welcome thoughts on what approach I can take to jointing. I want a strong finish that can take deliveries with ease.. I have yet to have the top layer of aggregate to be poured onto drive for example - last thing I want is to get this sorted then have a delivery van ruin it :-( Colour wise Im thinking of a mid grey, preferable with a fine finish joint rather than very granular. Any advice would be much welcomed as Im baffled by the range of products at the mo. Many thanks.

R1chyo

Re: Heavy duty jointing for transverse ridge setts

Sorry, meant to mention one other factor to consider! As well as the transverse ridge, I also have an extensive length of edging setts to joint - they are a mix of the same 50mm setts as in the ridge backed by 100mm deep setts behind them. Whatever jointing used in the the ridge needs to match the edging of course! However, whilst Im keen on using a flowing system to joint the ridge (seems easier than pointing, notwithstanding the pitted issue mentioned above), that won't work for the edging as it will all just flow out of the joint! On that point, parts off the ridge setts' edges are not fully sealed in mortar - I assume I should block up any open joints to stop it flowing out? Whats the best way to do that? Many thanks again.