Jointing for Slate Paving

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
mcn

Jointing for Slate Paving

I am laying Brazilian Rio slate from Pavestone and wondering what jointing grout to use.

Colour wise I like the Basalt from Easy Joint but I’ve been advised not to use EasyJoint because the slab bedding is not suitable (4 sharp sand, 1 cement, & SBR + SBR slurry on back of slabs)

Any suggestions for the best jointing method to use that will match the slate colour?

Thank you

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

Re: Jointing for Slate Paving

I havent laid slate so tough to comment
but last year left one of the new lads to joint up some kandla greay indian stone
when i got back shock horror he had used grit sand and cement
but it dried up a very dark grey and the client loved it
(this is southern grit sand out of lovedays so yellow)
other than that a 2 part resin mortar in basalt
vdw 815 or romex D1
cheers LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE

mcn

I've decided to go with sand and cement and some black colouring. Unfortunately, the grout is powdery, after a couple of days, so something is wrong.

Any suggestions for the correct mix?

(I used 4 building sand, 1 cement, a splash of colour, a drop of waterproofer and made the mix quite dry so as not to stain the slate)

lutonlagerlout
Site Admin

I prefer plastering sand over building sand for paving
its coarser and so makes a better bond
also better to have the mix well knocked up wetter, and allow to dry a bit before you use it ,than knock it up too dry in the first place
if you have a rubber glove on and squeeze a handful of mortar it should be able to form a sausage shape and hold its shape,if its too dry it falls apart,if its too wet it will run through your fingers
cheers LLL
"what,you want paying today??"

YOUR TEXT GOES HERE