Top up jointing sand

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
pfm401

We recently had a small area of block paving (Driveline 50) installed. Due to run off from me hosing down the tarmac area next to it (light power!) and then heavy rain etc some of the sand has washed out of the joints. I know you're supposed to wait for the blocks to dry but given it's December there's too much rain and it never gets warm enough to fully dry out the blocks! It looks like only the top 10 - 20 mm and only in some of the blocks.

What's a practical solution - should I get what I can in the joints, will it all settle? It's probably a small enough area to pour sand directly in the joints if that helps. Surely not parking on it until Spring is not the answer!!
Paul

Tony McC
Site Admin

Just brush-in what you can and leave a surplus on the surface. Over the next few days, whether it rains or shines, that excess will find its way into the not-quite-filled joints, and, if the chance arises, you can help it along by re-brushing to spread it around.

I know it can be a nuisance having excess sand on the surface, with it getting trodden into the house and the cars and everywhere else, but look at it as an anti-slip measure against the ice/snow and it will feel that bit less of a PITA.

After a week or so, it should have more-or-less filled any empty joint and you can then sweep away all of the excess and have the driveway you'd dreamed of.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert