Help! porcelain patio installation question

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
stonkin

Hi All, I'm in desperate need of some advice. We've just had a 7.8m x 3.6m patio laid. The grouting is being done as I type. I was chatting with the guy doing the grouting and it transpires that the porcelain has been affixed just using a 5+1 mix of sharp sand and cement. No SBR or equivalent has been used. I was already miffed after seeing the quality of the cuts that have been made (the edges are covered in small chips) but now I'm wondering whether I'm within my rights to tell him to rip it up and re-lay the tiles properly. The company boss will obviously just respond that he's never had any problems laying porcelain this way.

I have contacted the tile supplier and they advised that an SBR/primer should be used on the back of each tile.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Tony McC
Site Admin

It all depends on the installation guidance provided by your supplier.

Normally, we'd rely on manufacturer's guidance and the relevant British Standard, but there is, unfortunately, no settled agreement about which British Standard should be followed for porclesain *paving*. Is it to be treated as flagstone installatrion or tiling installation?

So: that leaves only the afiresaid manufacturer's guidance and not all manufacturers/suppliers provide detailed guidance, especially those at the bargain end of the market, and so installation of cheaper products can decend into something of a free-for-all.

The better manufacturers and supplied *do* issue installation guidance, and the vast majority of such advice (over 95%) insists that some form or primer or SBR bonding agent *must* be used when the pieces are laid onto mortar.

Consequently, your challenge to this "contractor" depends on what the manufacturer/supplier has published. If, as I hope, there is published guidance (and the claim that the contractor was not aware/didn't read is NO defence in law) and that such guidance requires a promer, then you have this clown banged to rights, as they say.

Check now!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

stonkin

Tony, thank you very much for your help. I will get on to the supplier again straight away.