Burn marks on sandstone

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Bob_A

My wife was burning wood in the chimenea and overloaded it resulting in burning wood falling out onto the patio where she left it until it burnt itself out.
Now we have burn makes that won't shift with a powerwasher.
I've had a google and there a number of ideas and chemicals such as baking soda and sugar soap but I think this will need something seriously powerful to shift this. Being riven sandstone and not smooth then maybe mechanically removing it?
Any ideas? :D

Tony McC
Site Admin

I'd go for a straight swap - take up the worst affected flags and replace with new.

You could spend a small fortune on various chemical attempts, each making little or no difference, not to mention your time, and any attempt at mechanical cleaning will disfiugure the flags, relative to their neigbours.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Bob_A

I take your point Tony, I can live with it for the winter so that would be a springtime job but it is a 600x900 flag

In the meantime if anyone can think of anything I could give it go, worst that could happen is it will make it worse and I'll change it anyway :laugh: