Tarmac drive repair - Will repair to new drive look ok?

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
pfm401

I posted a question about a new tarmac drive which had sunk after a week on the 1m strip of extension. Many thanks to all who replied.

The contractor has said that it was not consolidated properly and it needs to be cut out and reconsolidated. I asked him if he would be able to blend the repair in with the new drive and he said there would be a line but it it will weather in with the rest of the drive in a few months.

Is this reasonable or are we within our rights to request the whole drive to be resurfaced? I'm trying to get a balance between perfection and having something that looks patched up when we've paid for a full drive to be surfaced, but not sure what this will look like. Patches on roads look rubbish but that's old v new tarmac, this is only a few weeks old. There must be seams on roads as it all can't be laid in a day but they look ok?

Thanks, Paul.
Paul

loudog

Hi I am afraid no matter how hard they try you will always have a patch. I have tried so many different ways to reduce the patch but none have worked 100%. You could try heating up the joint as it will nit in better but make sure they cold joint seal the edges.

Dave_L
Site Admin

Under no circumstances accept a patch repair. I would never ask my clients to accept one if I'd got things wrong.
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page