Wet stains on porcelain paving edges

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
Epixme

Hi there, Hope you can help. About 2 months ago my builder laid some Italian porcelain paving in our front yard on an already existing concrete base. There looks to be adequate run off for water but the problems arose when he applied the grout. He used Norcros 4-1 grout but on the packet it tells you not to get it too wet as it could weaken the joints and cause efflorescence. When he finished it was clear he hadn't used the grout correctly as there was grout staining on the edges which he managed to get off. About 2 weeks later the grout itself started to get white lines in it and the pavers developed wet staining on the edges. I got him back but he said its probably because its wet underneath the pavers and its the grout which is porous. I asked him to suggest an alternative but he wouldn't and said he would just re-grout. I thought he was going to remove the old grout first but he applied some over the top of the existing grout. This didn't resolve the issue with the wet staining around the edges of the paving and it looks a bit of a mess now. Has anyone seen this before? the adhesive he used was Norcros Thick Bed Adhesive and an SBR slurry (although I'm not sure he used it correctly). Thanks so much for any help or advice.

Tony McC
Site Admin

I can't say I've seen *exactly* what you describe, but a lot of it sounds worrying, especially the cowboy bit about putting new grout over failing grout - never a good idea!

The claim that Norcros 4-1 grout is porous is complete bollocks - it's rated as suitable for swimming pools, FFS!

I can't be 100% sure but I'd hazard a guess that this "builder" is out of their depth when it comes to external installation of porcelain paving and is now attempting to blag their way out of a mess entirely of their own making.

You're probably best bringing in a true professional and getting this "builder" to cover the costs.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

Epixme

Thanks Tony

Sorry I got the grout wrong, he's actually used Norcros Flexible Wide Joint Tile Grout which says its not impervious to water.

Still, everything else you've said like re-grouting and not grinding out the failed jointing compound has definitely confirmed I need to get in someone else. It will be at my cost as I know he won't cover it.

Appreciate your help

Tony McC
Site Admin

Little irks me more than customers being out of pocket due to the ineptitude andincompetence of so-called tradespersons. It's just not fair and it tarnishes those with genuine skills, so all the good 'uns lose out. Disappointing! :angry:
Site Agent - Pavingexpert