Temporary depositing of spoil

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
Tony McC
Site Admin

That has always been the problem - lack of consistency.

Back in the dim and distant past when I was actively contracting, it seemed every local authority had a different policy regarding skips. Some, like Warrington, had a permit scheme whereby regular skip users, such as paving contractors, builders, etc. could obtain an annual licence on production of the appropriate insurance certificates. The licence allowed us to use skips anytime, any place, no need for any further consent. In return, we agreed to place appropriate signs, cones and lights, keep the highways clean and safe, and tidy up after we'd done.

Then there were the awkwards gits, the councils that insisted on individual consent for each and every skip. Bloody nightmare!

St. Helens, I think it was, had a scheme where it was the skip suppliers that were licensed and trusted to use their discretion when it came to whether it was safe to put a skip on any particular highway. And there were far too many local authorities who really did not give a toss. Not interested - no worth policing - if there was an accident, it's nowt to do with them....a bloody free for all!

I know local autonomy is a good thing, but surely highways' safety trumps any local idiosyncracies regarding what is or isn;t a good idea. Unlit, unsigned, unfenced skips, machinery, materials should be (you'd think!) unacceptable no matter where you live!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert