A little advice guys if possible.??

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
hrgiger

Hey guys,
I have some staining due to SBR on my indian stone.
Mainly from where it was used as a bonding agent on the back and some got splashed on the front..

Any ideas whats best to try and remove it?
all help much appreciated.

regards
Si

Bob_A

It won't be easy, as Tony would soon if you spill SBR remove it immediately if not sooner.
How big are the splashes
When you say Indian stone you mean the riven sandstone stuff?

hrgiger

Bob_A wrote:It won't be easy, as Tony would soon if you spill SBR remove it immediately if not sooner.
How big are the splashes
When you say Indian stone you mean the riven sandstone stuff?
hi, thanks for the reply.
yeah the spalshes arent to big but would still like to remove them or at lest make then less visable.

the stone is Kandla grey indian stone, sawn and honed, so its very smooth almost tile like, thats why the splashes show up more i think.

any ideas ?
reagrds

Bob_A

If they are smooth then sorry I don't know. If they were riven I would've said hack away at it until it's gone and if done properly could've still looked riven.
Maybe someone else can help, it's been a bit quiet on here the last few days so you may to have to wait:)

hrgiger

Bob_A wrote:If they are smooth then sorry I don't know. If they were riven I would've said hack away at it until it's gone and if done properly could've still looked riven.
Maybe someone else can help, it's been a bit quiet on here the last few days so you may to have to wait:)
thanks for looking in mate
will see if anyone else has any ideas.
regards

Tony McC
Site Admin

If it's a primer, than you have very little chance of removing it without damaging the stone.

There are two elements to contend with: the SBR component which is designed to stick like the proverbial to a blanket and NOT be easily removed; and then the cementitious component which requires an acid to break its hold on the flagstone....and acid very often turns Kandla Grey into Kandla Bright Orange as it frees iron minerals within the stone.

You could try repeated, careful applications of a phosphoric acid (popular with home brewers, apparently), but a friend in Ireland with the same problem told me just a week or so ago that it took more than 20 applications to reduce the stain to 'acceptable', and that "I'm sick of doing this..." had kicked in long before any real benefit was noticed, but a persistent spouse ensured the traetment continued.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

hrgiger

Thanks Tony for the reply,
Managed to get most of the stains off to an acceptable level using Evo Stick Adhesive Remover of all things
Tried it on a bit of spare slab first and it didnt alter the stone's colour so soaking a piece rag in it and holding on the stain seemed to work well.

Basically a solvent based adhesive remover seemed to work well.

Thanks for all the replies guys,
Appreciate the help
Si

Tony McC
Site Admin

Good to know! :D
Site Agent - Pavingexpert