Crushed concrete for sub base?

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
DIY Tom

Hi. I'm laying a new driveway. I hired a man with a digger to do the bulk dig out work, which he has now done. He suggested using crushed concrete for the sub base - which his father-in-law's company can supply (they provided the huge grab truck to take the waste away).

The price they quoted me for the crushed concrete works out at about half the price of the type 1 that my local Jewson branch offer.

I've seen on the sub-base page that crushed concrete is mentioned, so I presume it is perfectly viable - assuming it meets the type 1 standard... which is my concern... that the crushed concrete isn't actually to the type 1 standard.

As it happens, I was intending on laying two layers of 75mm anyway (so I can use a wacker plate on the first 75mm and again on the top 75mm). Should I consider using crushed concrete for the first 75mm and limestone (their suggestion) for the top 75mm?

Any advice? I'm not necessarily looking to scrimp and save - I'd rather pay a few hundred quid more for something that is going to last...

dig dug dan

Well if it is actually crushed concrete, or crushed rubble and fines, then it will,be fine, but a lot of these so called suppliers have a naughty habit of mixing in soil , sweeping and all manor of stuff to bulk it out.
The number of loads of this so called crushed I have rejected over the years is astounding.
One of the reasons I got into the crushing business was so I could control the end product myself, and as a result, I get almost no soil in the product, and it's to a suitable standard
Perhaps ask to see some at their yard first?
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

DIY Tom

Cheers Dan.
but a lot of these so called suppliers have a naughty habit of mixing in soil , sweeping and all manor of stuff to bulk it out

This is exactly my concern. Trouble is, they're not that local to me (probably a 3 hour round trip). I'll give them a call and try to get some info out of them.

dig dug dan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189440580 ... ed-public/

See the attached image of what top quality crushed concrete should look like!

Edited By dig dug dan on 1595612595
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk

DIY Tom

Cheers Dan! I know this is a bit off topic, but I had a peek at your website. Do you just do the crusher hire? Or material supply also?

dig dug dan

Tom

I am actually a landscaper, crusher hirer as a sideline. I crush back at base my waste materials which I then use in my landscape jobs.
Sadly, I dont supply as i dont have enough stock, or the right vehicles to deliver any more than a meter at a time!
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk

DIY Tom

I found the supplier I've been talking about. Looks fairly reputable to me. Apps Grab Hire. Will call them in the morning. Cheers!

Tony McC
Site Admin

Dan is right about being wary with regards to just what is supplied as "crushed concrete" which then turns out to be "crushed crap from our yard", but you sem to have satisfied yourself on that score.

However, I can't figure out how someone can be cheaper than a local supplier when there's a 3 hour round trip involved!
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

DIY Tom

I spoke to the supplier and I asked directly about the quality of the crushed concrete. He assured me that there was no soil or organic stuff in there. He referred to it as "recycled type 1" (or something like that). And I double and triple confirmed with him that it was dust to 40mm. Just waiting on a price now.

DIY Tom

Truck showed up today and offloaded one grab of "recycled type 1 crushed concrete". This is what it looked like...

I promptly put a stop to it and called the supplier. He told me (whilst I was standing in front of this pile of s**t) that there was no soil in it, no organics, and that it was to type 1 spec (despite there being a 70mm tile right on top of the pile). Needless to say that we disagreed. Supplier was rude and told me to not call again... and hung up.

Why do they bother? Delivery driver even had the cheek to ask if I was going to pay for the diesel..!

Apps Grab Hire are to be avoided! Their website even explains the type 1 standard..!

Bob_A

Annoying to say the very least :angry:
Local reputable tradesmen will have reliable sources, disreputable will probably use what you have.
As you can't find a reputable source of crushed concrete maybe it may be best to buy proper certified type1, it'll be much more expensive but it will so much easier to use, look what trying to cut costs has caused.
Did they take it away or you stuck with it?

DIY Tom

I'm happy to buy proper type 1, not really even looking to cut costs exactly - was just following up a suggestion from one of their guys (who was a nice chap). I even said to these guys on the phone that if they thought the crushed concrete quality wasn't great, then I'd be happy to pay more for their type 1 limestone.

They took some of it back... left me with a little taster to serve as a reminder! But hey... on the bright side, if I hadn't posted on here and hadn't seen your photo... there could have been a slim chance I'd have accepted it. So at least I was confident enough to reject it! Cheers for that.

dig dug dan

Dear oh dear!
I guess you could put it on the borders and grow plants in it?
I had a feeling they sound turn up with this sort of stuff!

Its firms like this that play right into my hands, the more crap they try and get away with selling, the more people want to hire my crushers and produce their own as a result!
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk