Issues with driveway and contractor

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
Tony McC
Site Admin

When we did dropped crossings for the local councils, it was easy money doing, as you say, 3 or 4 a day for a week and then move on to something bigger, but when it was for private customers, you might wait 3 months for a job to come in, and six months or more to get enough to make a day's work.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

onedaymyfriend

Dave_L wrote:Loving the non-existant chapter 8 and barriers!

I'll bet the tar was shovelled off the back of a transit and not a proper tar lorry?

Highways would hold a maintenance period over the contractor for 24 mths from completion. Whether they do actually come out and inspect crossovers at month 23, I don't know.....

Hi guys, it definetly came off the back of a tar lorry. For some reason I didn't get notification of all your replies.

Well today, they turned up (9 months later) without any notice to re do the job. Unfortunately I couldn't move the car as its a friends and they were at work.lol

I have some images of the base close up, one of the workmen even let slip that there are bits of the base they are just clay with no hardcore. Pics too follow.

onedaymyfriend

Any advice would be much appreciated.

This photo shows wet clay.

onedaymyfriend

Tony McC wrote:The job has all the hallmarks of what we might think of as an 'infrequent' macadam contractor, but then, so many of these smaller jobs are undertaken by these gangs, and, to be honest, I never minded that. The jobs involving a new apron or a dropped crossing or an extra metre at the side of an existing driveway were always more bloody trouble than they were worth, so I was quite happy to see them go to the tranny-van gangs.

Besides, by the time I'd priced in all the Ch8, and an insulated wagon (delivering at a time of their own choosing!), and having my blacktop gang of 4 men all there to lay a couple of tonnes, not to mention the insurance and highways' notices, I was never anywhere near competitive in terms of costs! :D
Hi! When Highways in my area had a recommendation list of companies the companies I used were on that list. They also do work for the council.

I had no reason to doubt them. In fact a Highways officer actually recommended them.

Gutted. :(

onedaymyfriend

loudog wrote:Looks not enough depth to me to get 50-60mm of base course tarmac plus a decent 30mm wearing course. If you get a core sample then the proof is in the pudding what they laid, it would give you more firing power.
I wish I had seen your suggestion Re the core sample, I guess it's too late now. They're due to relay tomorrow.

onedaymyfriend

Some more images.

onedaymyfriend

The base and tarmac has now been redone. It looks a lot better than before, I'll leave it a couple of days and see how it is then.

Tony McC
Site Admin

That's a real treat! Have they finished now?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

onedaymyfriend

Tony McC wrote:That's a real treat! Have they finished now?

Hi Tony, that's it all now. It still looks just like it did when they finished. I just need to keep the our neighbours visitors from turning on it.

Dave_L
Site Admin

Nice job that, thanks for keeping us up to date!
RW Gale Ltd - Civils & Surfacing Contractors based in Somerset

See what we get up to Our Facebook page