Ground swell - Advice sought to stop ground swell

Other groundworks tasks, such as roads and footpaths, terracing, fencing, foundations, walls and brickwork, tools and plant.
greatbrew

I moved in a new build in May 2016. Since moving in there has been a significant amount of ground swell in the rear garden.
I am about to take up the paving laid by the builder and replace with a larger path. However, I am concerned about the ground swell and what I may be able to do to prevent it reoccurring.
To give you an idea, outside the back door the path has risen 45mm over a length of 900mm.
Suggestions so far:-
1/ Remove 150mm depth, lay 100mm reinforced concrete then pave on top.
2/ Remove 250mm depth, lay 200mm type 1 (packing down in 75mm layers), then pave on top.
Has anyone any advice/ideas to offer?
Regards
Great Brew

Tony McC
Site Admin

Before determining what remedial strategy might be more appropriate, I'd want to know what is causing this uplift.

Have you had any investigatory work done?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

greatbrew

Tony, thanks for responding.
The swell and shrinkage is around the rear of our home. One thought is ground disturbance during piling of foundations. I have also been told that the clay in this area of Essex (SS5) suffers with swelling and shrinking. My neighbours have a similar issue.
No investigation carried out yet, just thought i'd try Brew cabin to see if anyone has had similar experience and if there experience gave a timeline of when it settles (hopefully it will).
Regards
Great Brew

Tony McC
Site Admin

I know quite a few paving installers in that that part of the country and about half of them will only lay over a concrete base rather than a flexible sub-base because of the problems with ground movement.

I'm not sure how bad it is on your plot, but maybe a concrete base is the better option in this case.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert