Easy joint - causing stains/picture framing - Easy joint used by dry method

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
huntygowk

Hi,

Got new patio finished on Wednesday. It's indian sandstone. The contractor used easy joint for the grouting. I noticed when he put it on the first section to have a look at it that the slabs were all bone dry. They'd just brushed it in and packed it down. It looked ok, and I didn't have a clue what was right/wrong method to put this type of grout on was. They've finished the whole lot and now three days later I'm noticing dark stains along the edges of a lot of the slabs. Not all of them, but on some slabs where one edge is not against the easy joint, ie the fence, it's totally fine and no stains, the other three sides that touch the grouting do have these marks. So to me it looks like it's the easy joint that's causing it

I've read up about easy joint and see there are two methods to apply, wet and dry. The dry methods requires sealing the slabs prior to brushing in the easy joint. I know for a fact this wasn't done.

Does anyone know what I'm looking at here. Is this 'picture framing' going to get worse and worse and permanent. Is it a bodge job done by the contractor?

I've read through the, very useful , forum topics and seen some posts about doping oil blooming/picture framing slabs. Is this likely what's happening here? Or is it too early to know as the patio just been laid a few days ago?

I've tried adding added a couple of images, but seems impossible to upload them using this forum board. They might work. Or I might have to stick them to a tenner and post them to the site moderator!

ImageImageImage

Tony McC
Site Admin

It's not difficult to upload photies if you have a compliant server but we appreciate some of the online photoe storage sites aren't as good as others.

You can email the photies to me (and feel free to send a tenner as well!) and I'll upload them on your behalf. Send to tony AT name-of-website
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

dig dug dan

Why didn't he brush it in with water as per instructions?
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk
"a satisfied customer? we should have them stuffed!"

huntygowk

Don't know. Haven't spoken to them yet. I'm trying to gather some facts about what they've done first before I do. Don't know how bad this will affect the slabs over time, if at all. I know for a fact if this can affect slabs over time like a year and slowly gets worse I'll have bugger all chance of getting them to do anything about it then.

dig dug dan

I have used easijoint for the past 12 years, and never had a problem, but I have always used water. I never use it dry. Speak to them and find out why!
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk

Tony McC
Site Admin

The photies...

Tony McC
Site Admin

As far as I can see, typical doping oil stains that happen when a one-part product is used on dry flags.

It *should* weather away in 3 months or so.....

dig dug dan

Tony McC wrote:As far as I can see, typical doping oil stains that happen when a one-part product is used on dry flags.

It *should* weather away in 3 months or so.....
What he said!
Dan the Crusher Man
01442 212315
www.crusherhire.co.uk

huntygowk

Thanks for the replies. Reassuring to know it's not something that will last forever. Just va pain when you get a new patio that it looks like that and could have been prevented by proper application of jointing compound.