Granite setts--driveway build up & q's

Setts and cobbles, tarmac, asphalt, resin systems, concrete whether it's plain, patterned or stencilled, gravels, etc.
adventuristico

Good evening Everyone,

Let me first start by saying thanks to Tony! I’ve been lurking around the website for a long while now, and I have finally made the jump into signing in!

I have read loads and loads of pages on website, brew cabin and videos linked to youtube, but I was hoping to have a bit of help for my own personal driveway, if you would allow me to indulge. Many thanks in advance.

I am looking to install a small driveway (6.4m x 5m) that will have reclaimed granite setts (average sizes of L:160mm x W:100mm x D:150mm) installed as a 1m apron at the front and a single sett channel border around the rest of the drive—which will then be filled in the middle with gravel in plastic grids.

Still with me? Great!

Facts:
-sub grade: firm Cheshire sand/clay
-Use: 1 car drive with light daily use- perhaps the odd skip hire
-only can dig max 325mm (due to tree roots)
-the gravel/plastic grid calls for MOT3 sub base (in line with SUDs drainage)
-I am replacing concrete pavers laid onto sand with no sub base

Projected Layout for 1m x 6.4 apron:
Sub grade: solid Cheshire sand/clay
sub base: 75mm MOT-3 (can I use this instead of MOT1 since I will use for gravel as well?)
Bedding: 100mm C20 concrete mix
Setts: 150mm (reclaimed from Liverpool streets) granite setts
Jointing: 3:1 with SBR
Haunching: C20 concrete mix

My questions are these:
-Tony mentions on the rigid construction page that for driveways 100mm is adequate for bedding + base- does this mean a single application of 100mm cementitious bedding or should a lay a separate cement base (50mm) and let cure before starting with the bedding (50mm) and setts?

-should I use a strengthener such as SBR in the bedding?

-Are my build up depths adequate for a 1 car drive?

-Is MOT 3 suitable as a base or must I use MOT1 for the ground beneath the setts?

-Would MOT1 be suitable for some permeability, or is this considered impermeable?

-Am I missing anything?

Again, a massive thanks to you all!

-Sean
sean

Tony McC
Site Admin

1 - just use a single layer of 80-100mm ST4/C20 concrete for bedding the setts edges

2 - no need to add SBR to the mix, but use a primer on the underside of each sett as you lay them

3 - you'll really, *really* struggle to achieve a sub-base of Type 3 material at just 75mm depth. I find it's almost imnpossible to use Type 3 in layers of anything less than about 120mm. Why not lay the apron on Type 1 and rely on the adjacent area of Type 3 beneath the cell pavers to act as the drainage? It's how most supermarket car parks are now done: strips of impermeable blacktop laid on Type 1 and shedding water onto adjacenet areas of peremable CBPs laid over a Type 3 sub-base.

4 - although Type 1 is, sort-of permeable, a sub-base constructed using Type 1 is not regarded as permeanble for SUDS purposes.

Does that answer all of your concerns?
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

adventuristico

Hi Tony,

Thank you very much for your reply- it is most helpful!

Just to clarify/repeat- using a MOT1 under the setts with a 75mm depth will be achievable and sufficient to handle 1 car? If so, I will install exactly that.

One other question if you would be so kind:

As far as the drainage for the gravel portion is concerned my layout is the following:

-driveway perpendicular to a gently sloping main road
-Driveway will be levelled, but is currently gently sloped from the road to the house
-Driveway is sand/clay soil mix
-no drainage currently (driveway was concrete paving slabs, downspout runoff straight into hopper into soil --not my doing!)

I am not beholden to SUDS per say, but I am hoping to ensure adequate permeability keep the drive from puddling up. Would a sub base of 150mm MOT1 with a geotextile on top and bottom, followed by 35mm of 20mm aggregate and the groundtrax trays filled with decorate aggregate be sufficient to handle an 18m2 drive ? I am in a difficult scenario as there is no current drainage either to drains or the ability to install a soakaway (I know your feelings on these in clay!). Is MOT1 ok, or as you say in the previous post- MOT3 is a must?

Thanks again!!!

Sean
sean

Tony McC
Site Admin

75mm of Type 1 is the very minimum and it's not all that easy to achieve. That extra 25mm, beefing it up to 200mm, makes such a huge difference.

Regarding the cell paver build-up: why would you have a geotextile on TOP of the sub-base? That will act as a slip membrane, which is not what you want!

100-150mm sub-base/25-30mm grit or grit sand/GroundTrax cell pavers filled with deco agg - that's all you need.

adventuristico

Hi Tony,

Again- many thanks for taking the time.

I will beef up the sub base below the setts!

Regarding the cell pavers- I only considered the textile on top of the sub base because some manufacturers recommend keeping the sand and sub base separate. I know you only really recommend a textile

As for the sub base- will MOT1 suit for under the cell pavers? I don’t have drains in the driveway, however I am on a slight slope, left to right. The reason I ask is because I believe the builder I hired installed MOT1 and not mot3 (based on the amount of fines I see present) and I am hoping not to dig it all out again.

Also- for being so generous with your time I will be dropping a donation into the website and a matching one in your name at the Warrington foodbank! Thanks for taking the time!

Cheers,

Sean
sean

Tony McC
Site Admin

Type 1 is not as good as Type 3 for permeable paving projects but it's still better than the other alternatives.

And if you factor in the (say) 50mm cell paver and then 30-40mm of grit sand laying course, you have quite a reservoir capacity there that will attenuate to the Type 1 which, in turn, attenuates to the sub-grade, so, while it's not ideal, it's really not that bad *on a small residential project*

And I appreciate the gesture, particularly to the local foodbank, a charity close to my own heart.