Help with re-jointing please

Patio flagstones (slabs), concrete flags, stone flags including yorkstone and imported flagstones.
bensgm

After using this invaluable website for many years ive now joined the Brew Cabin!

I recently used Silka fastfix to re-joint a customers patio area - I was pleased with the outcome.

I now have 100sqm of mixed sized slabs to re joint looming in my diary.

The joints vary in size from 10mm to 25mm!

Ive priced the Fastfix but it comes in pricey.

I would be grateful for advice on a moist mortar mix that i could brush in and compact to a light grey finish. What to use and at what ratio.

Thank you in advance and sorry if this has been covered before.
Ben Browne

Tony McC
Site Admin

FastFix is now the second most complained about jointing product and it is rapidly catching up on our old foe, Geo-Fix. I've even listened to a senior Sika rep slag it off as possibly the worst product they sell.

It's unlikely that anyone will be able to provide a 'recipe' to produce a mortar that meets your specific requirements. We don't know what sands you have available (and a grey mortar needs either a granitic or a silver sand) and how that would combine with your choice of cement and plasticiser, colourant, etc.

If that's the route you wish to follow, then it's trial and error for you, I'm afraid. It's all a matter of making umpteen batches to see which gives the cured colour and appropriate texture you require.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

bensgm

Thank you.

Ive now been back to the job where i used the fastfix and although the customer seems happy with the finish I am not. Its left loose grit everywhere and despite following the instructions there are areas where it hasnt set hard.

I will try a 3:1 mortar with silver building sand and go from there.
Ben Browne

Tony McC
Site Admin

Have you considered a good quality 2-part resin mortar? They're damned expensive, but it might be easier than making up a consistent sand/cement mortar.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert