Ballast for sub base - Balllast

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
caz

Hi four months ago I had block paving installed for a Patio area and at the time I noticed the sub base was laid in ballast. I queried this with the contractor and he assured me that this would be fine. As time progressed it became quite evident that rain water was pooling in one area to a depth of 7cm and a surface width of 80cm. I checked the levels and found that most of them were not correct. I decided to relay the blocks and have taken them up. I know ideally that MOT 1 should be used as a sub base but my My question is can I still use the ballast as a sub base once I have sorted out the levels?
Cary Cardoso

caz

Tony additionally if you dont mind answering this further question. The blocks i have are 50mm thick and the existing ballast sub base is 80mm, the laying bed is 20mm and sprinkled with cement and it has formed a hardish crust. I have removed a section of ballast and the total height from ground level to my finish line is 150mm. If using the ballast as a sub base i take it that the 20mm laying bed will not do and i will have to dig down deeper is this correct?
Cary Cardoso

Tony McC
Site Admin

Ballast is NOT a sub-base material. It's a rag-tag mixture of any old crap lying around on the quarry floor. It's most common use ts for making concrete, and I'm not convinced it actually suitable for that!

The particle size distribution, the nature of the rock itself, the prevalence of fine material, the lack of angularity, the fact that it's not a crished but an "as-dug" material....all render ballast as unsuitable for use as a sub-base.

Everything about this job is WRONG. Wrong sub-base material, inadequate depth of sub-base, inadequate laying course, cement added to laying course....it's all a cowboy job.

The only fix is to start again from scratch.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert

caz

Hi Tony many thanks for your help, a further question if you will please. I have now laid the aggregate and compacted it down and the levels are correct. Next I am going to lay the sharp sand screed bed and want to know whether I have to compact this down first before I lay the blocks or compact after the blocks are laid. Please advise.
Cary Cardoso

Lmcd qs

caz wrote:Hi Tony many thanks for your help, a further question if you will please. I have now laid the aggregate and compacted it down and the levels are correct. Next I am going to lay the sharp sand screed bed and want to know whether I have to compact this down first before I lay the blocks or compact after the blocks are laid. Please advise.
Hi Caz,

I don’t think it is essential but it is common for builders to partially compact the sand before levelling.

You can see this done at around 5 minutes in this video https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J__TVDrOzgo

Tony McC
Site Admin

Pre-compaction is the preferred methodology.... https://www.pavingexpert.com/screeding#principles
Site Agent - Pavingexpert