Drive path way. - What to do

All forms of block paving, brick paving, flexible or rigid, concrete or clays, new construction or renovation
TheFlute

Have a large drive way that Im block paving About 140sq metre. Im considering breaking it in to 2 sections with a path down the middle. so I can do it it 2 stages. Can I lay the path down the middle with a solider course down either side. Then bring either side up to it. Bearing in mind Ill be driving cars over it is it advisable or would I be better to lay it all in one go. If its okay to do What would you lay the solider course on.
Thanks for any help you can give
Philip Hyde

Lmcd qs

Hi TheFlute,

I am no expert on the subject of block paving but I will give you my 2 cents. I am a surveyor with plenty of new build construction experience, I just don't have the depth of experience other guys on the forum have. However, this doesn’t seem like the most technical question.

I am assuming that the path is for aesthetic purposes and to delineate the two spaces. This shouldn’t be an issue, but there is a couple of things I suggest you take into consideration:-

Firstly, It is always recommended that you use 75-100mm mass concrete bed for any kerbs or edge course, also ensuring it is correctly haunched. You will find a lot of useful info over at :- https://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks04 you should definitely read all of this and the other useful pages on block paving.

Do you have an adequate sub-base? What will the cars be driving over? I don’t know what your current driveway situation is but you said in your post the cars will be driving in and out before the job is complete. For this to be ok I would suggest you have a well compacted sub-base to hold the weight of the car.

Another thing you should be wary of if you are constructing a path is levels. At the end of the job you would want your two sections of block paving to meet flush with the solider course of the path. Again, I don’t know what you plan on building the path with but there is a chance that the slabs (if used) will vary in thickness from the block paving. So you will need to adjust your sub base to suit. For example, if your block paving construction consisted of 100mm type 1 sub base, 50mm sand bed, and 50mm block and your path slabs are 70mm thick, you would need to adjust the sub base for your path so the final levels would be the same. If you placed your slabs on the same sub-base as the block paving your slabs/path would be 20mm higher than the block paving.

I hope this makes sense.

TheFlute

Thanks for the reply. Yeah sub base is good just put 35 tons down and used a vibrating roller to lay it. Ill be using the same blocks as the rest of the drive so height should be okay. My main concern was the solider course concrete cracking when it's driven over.
Philip Hyde

Lmcd qs

TheFlute wrote:Thanks for the reply. Yeah sub base is good just put 35 tons down and used a vibrating roller to lay it. Ill be using the same blocks as the rest of the drive so height should be okay. My main concern was the solider course concrete cracking when it's driven over.
No problem, happy to help where I can.

Whilst I haven’t carried out any works similar to what you are planning on doing, I do not see how the soldier/edge course would perform differently from any other blocks, given it is installed correctly.

I would also say you will be ok to use the driveway since you have a well compacted sub base. I don’t know how long you plan on using this as a temp drive so I’d suggest at the end you maybe add a ‘top up’ layer of type 1 prior to your sand bed and block paving, as there is a chance the weight of the cars could have slightly impacted your sub-base.

Tony McC
Site Admin

Everything the QS says is spot on.

As long as you have an adequate sub-base beneath the path (the same as will be used beneath the eventual block paved areas) and that the path paving (whatever it may be) is laid to a vehicle-capable standard, there's nothing at all wrong with your plan.
Site Agent - Pavingexpert